Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Cradley, Herefordshire - Post Office Directory, 1863

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Cradley, Herefordshire - Post Office Directory, 1863

Extract from Post Office Directory of Herefordshire, 1863

Transcription by Barbara Haner © 2004

CRADLEY.

CRADLEY is a township, village, and parish, in the district union, and county court district of Bromyard, hundred of Radlow, and archdeaconry and bishopric of Hereford, 8 miles north-north-east from Ledbury. The church of St. James was thoroughly repaired about 1854; it is in the Early English style, but the more ancient parts are Norman; the doorway is a fine specimen of Norman architecture; the tower is square and castellated, and contains 6 bells; there is one aisle, west gallery,,, and a stone font presented in 1722. The register dates from 1625. The living is a rectory, annual value £1,023 17s., with residence and 110 acres of glebe land; in the gift of the Bishop of Hereford, and held by the Rev. Edward Renn Hampden, M.A., J.P. There are several small charities in connection with the church. The Free school (endowed) is very old, being built of wood and plaster; there are at present about 40 scholars; there is also a Sunday school, and a new school for girls was erected in 1855 on the glebe land. The late Rev. C. Luxmore, M.A., devised certain moneys for the erection of a new church, which is now being built at Storridge, about a mile from the village. Francis Thomas Cuddon, Esq., is lord of the manor. Richard Yapp, Esq., J.P., Hale's End, and Thomas Henry Little, Esq., are chief landowners. The population in 1861 was 1,830; the number of acres is 5,966.

STORRIDGE, Hill House, Millbank, Ridgway, Hale's End, Crowley Gate, Wells, Lower Vinesend, Nupend, Homend, Hope End, and Crumpall Hill are places here.

Parish Clerk, William Jones.


CRADLEY.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.

Hampden Rev. Edward Renn, M.A., J.P., Rectory
Little Thomas Henry, esq. Birchwood cottage
Shapland John, esq. Hill house
Summers Thomas, esq. Millbank
Yapp John, esq. Ridgway house
Yapp Richard, esq. J.P. Hale's end

COMMERCIAL.

Archer Sarah (Mrs.), farmer
Archer Thomas, miller
Beard Mary (Mrs.), farmer, Storridge
Bennett James, farmer, Cowley gate
Birchley Ann (Mrs.), farmer, Seed farm
Boucher Matthew, Seven Stars, Stifford's bridge
Bowen F.D., miller, Heath mill
Bullock William, carpenter
Caswell, John, farmer, Byefield
Chamberlain Thomas, shopkeeper
Chambers Joseph, farmer, Barrow farm
Dowding James, farmer, Hocker house
Edwards William, farmer, Tan house
Griffiths John, tailor
Harper Francis, butcher
Hill Daniel, farmer, Cradley hall
Hill George, shoemaker
Hill Timothy, shoemaker
Hodges Michael, farmer, Hidelow
Hopkinson William, stonemason
Hutchins William, farmer, White house
Jauncey Richard, farmer, Wintel
Jauncey William, farmer, Nupend
Jones James, farmer, Wells
Kings James, carpenter
Lane Tracey, farmer, Bean house
Lane William, farmer, Upper house
Leech John, farmer
Newman John, farmer, The Hill
Newton Ann (Miss), farmer, Lower Vinesend
Notley Richard, miller, Lower Mill
Orgee Henry, Red Lion, Stifford's bridge
Orgee Thomas, farmer, Vine end
Partridge Richard, farmer, Copley
Pitt Charles, farmer, Court farm
Powell William, farmer, Netherley hall
Preece Thos., shopkeeper, Stifford's bridge
Rudge John, farmer, Hope end
Russell William, farmer, Cowley gate
Sandford Henry, tailor
Smith William, farmer, Barrow mill
Stockford John, farmer, Ridgway farm
Stone Joseph, shoemaker
Taylor Thomas, carpenter
Watkins Thos., blacksmith, Stifford's brdg
Willis Thomas, butcher
Wood Wm., blacksmith, Stifford's brdg
Woodhouse John, shoemaker
Woodyatt Charles, farmer, The Hill
Yates George, farmer, Mill farm

National School, William Jones, master; Mrs. Ann Styche, mistress

Letters through Great Malvern which is the nearest money order office

[Transcribed by Barbara E. Haner in December 2004
from a personal copy of Post Office Directory of Herefordshire, 1863]