Hide

Credenhill, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"CREDENHILL, a parish in the hundred of Grimsworth, in the county of Hereford, 4½ miles N.W. of Hereford, its post town, and 12 W. of Leominster. It is situated 1 mile from the river Wye. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Hereford, value £297, in the patronage of the Rev. J. Eckley, who is lord of the manor. The church dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient Gothic structure. It contains a font, and some handsome marble monuments to the Eckleps. There is a school for both sexes. In the vicinity are remains of the Roman camp called Magna Castra, or Kenchester of Antoninus, near which coins, urns, and other antiquities have been found. It is situated on the summit of a lofty hill, enclosing an area of nearly 40 acres. The principal residence is Credenhill, the seat of the Eckley family."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]