"CWMYOY, a parish partly in the hundred of EWYASLACY, county of HEREFORD, and partly in the lower division of the hundred of ABERGAVENNY, county of MONMOUTH, 8 miles (N. by W.) from Abergavenny, containing, with the townships of Bwlch and Toothog, 679 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, jn the archdeaconry of Brecon, and diocese of St. David, endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £400 royal bounty, and in the patronage of - Lander, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Michael. Soon after the year 1108, a priory, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, and afterwards known by the name of Llantony abbey, was founded here by Hugh Lacy, for canons regular of the order of St. Augustine, many of whom, by reason of the privations and hardships which they sustained in this place, removed first to the episcopal palace at Hereford, and afterwards, in 1136, to a place neav Gloucester, leaving a few of their brethren at the original settlement at Llantony, whose revenue, in the 26th of Henry VIII., was estimated at about £100: the remains, which are nearly in the centre of the parish, are in a tolerable state of preservation." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- The transcription of the section for Cwmyoy from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Cwmyoy to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Cwmyoy has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO299233 (Lat/Lon: 51.903719, -3.020468), Cwmyoy which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)