"DILWYN, a parish in the hundred of STRETFORD, county of HEREFORD, 2 miles (N.E. by N.) from Weobley, containing 1026 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford, rated in the king's books at £6. 2. 6., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Hereford. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. A chapel formerly stood at Little Dilwyn. A school is endowed with a house, orchard and garden, given by Lacon Lambe, Esq., and with nine acres of land by Thomas Phillips, Esq., which, with annual donations of £2. 2. each from the vicar and Samuel Peploe, Esq., constitutes the master's salary. There are also a Sunday and a working school supported by voluntary donations and collections. Here is thought to have been formerly a monastic establishment to which were annexed certain lands, called College lands, previously belonging to the priory of Wormsley." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Monumental Inscriptions from Dilwyn, St Mary, transcribed by Alec Whitfield.
- The transcription of the section for Dilwyn from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Dilwyn to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Dilwyn has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO416546 (Lat/Lon: 52.186879, -2.856188), Dilwyn which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)