Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Dinmore, Herefordshire - Kelly's Directory, 1913

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Dinmore, Herefordshire - Kelly's Directory, 1913

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1913

Transcription by Rosemary Lockie © 2000
DINMORE, formerly extra parochial (and still so ecclesiastically), was, under the Act 20 Vic. cap. 19, formed into a civil parish, and is about 1 mile west of the Hereford and Leominster road, 2¾ miles west-by-south from Dinmore station on the Shrewsbury and Hereford section of the Great Western and London and North Western joint railway and 7 north from Hereford, in the Southern division of the county, union, county court district and petty sessional division of Hereford and hundred of Grimsworth. The chapel of St. John of Jerusalem, erected in the early part of the 12th century and formerly attached to the Preceptor of the Knights Hospitallers once existing here, is the private property of the lady of the manor; it is a rectangular building of stone in the Norman and Decorated styles, consisting of chancel, nave, north porch and a western tower with spire, and was rebuilt in the year 1370, and thoroughly restored in 1886 by the late Rev. Harris Fleming St. John M.A. chaplain 1878-1903, and filled with painted windows executed by himself: this chapel is stated to have had the privilege of sanctuary: there are sittings for 50 persons. The register dates from the year ... Dinmore Manor House, the property and residence of Mrs. St. John, lady of the manor and sole landowner, adjoins the chapel, and occupies the site of the ... Preceptory: it was modernized at the time of a previous restoration of the chapel at the beginning of the last century by the Rev. J. Fleming St. John M.A. (when) many of the stone mullions, doorways and portions of the oak panellings were retained: the mansion contains some paintings by Rubens, and among the numerous curiosities are two cabinets obtained by an ancestor of the family at Lisbon, at the time of the great earthquake, with paintings on the drawers by the same master. The soil is clayey; subsoil, clay and brick earth. The chief crops are wheat, beans and roots. The area is 570 acres; rateable value, £354; population in 1911, 25.

Letters through Leominster arrive by foot messenger at about 9 a.m. who returns at 4.35 p.m. Wellington, ? miles distant, is the nearest money order & telegraph office


RESIDENTS.

St. John Mrs. Dinmore Manor house Morgan Benj. farmer, Upper Dinmore

[Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie in July 2000
from a copy of Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1913 in Hereford Central Library]