Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Docklow, Herefordshire - Kelly's Directory, 1941

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Docklow, Herefordshire - Kelly's Directory, 1941

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1941

Transcription by Rosemary Lockie © 2000
[Photocopy starts here] and diocese of Hereford. The Humber brook forms the north-western boundary of the parish. The church of St. Bartholomew is an edifice of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel and nave under one roof, south porch and low western tower with spire, containing 2 bells: the clock in the tower was erected in 1920 as a memorial to the men of the parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18: the whole of the old church, with the exception of the north wall and the lower part of the tower, was pulled down in 1880, and rebuilt chiefly at the expense of Robert H. J. Heygate esq.: the stained east window is a memorial to William and Eleanora Cherry, d. 1880; in 1916 oak panelling was put in the chancel by Capt. E. L. A. Heygate in memory of his parents: there are sittings for 80 persons. The register dates from the year 1584. The living is a vicarage, held in plurality with Stoke Prior, net yearly value £108, in the gift of the vicar of Leominster, and held since 1936 by the Rev. Stephen David Jackson M.A. of Keble College, Oxford, who is also rector of, and resides at Humber. At Uphampton a little to the north of the village, is a small British camp, forming one of a continuous range which may be traced crossing this shire in a north-easterly direction. Mrs. R. Thomas and Thomas Lawson Walker esq. J.P. are the chief landowners. The soil is clay; subsoil, gravel and rock. The chief crops are wheat, barley, hops and apples, with a large quantity of pasture. The area is 1,285 acres; the population in 1931 was 140 in the civil and of the ecclesiastical parish, 173.

   HAMPTON WAFER, formerly extra-parochial, is now a parish in Leominster and Wigmore rural district, 6 miles south-east. The area is 333 acres; the population in 1931 was 14.
   According to census returns for 1931, this place is reputed to be extra-parochial for ecclesiastical purposes.

   Letters from Leominster, nearest M.O. office. Steens Bridge nearest T. office


PRIVATE RESIDENTS.

(For T N's see general list of Private Residents at end of book.)

Belcher John, Buckland
Godfrey George, Fairfield
Heygate Mrs. E. M. G. Oaklands
Thomas Mrs. R. Buckland

COMMERCIAL.

Marked thus * farm 150 acres or over.

* Clements Bros. frmrs. Low. Buckland
Foresters Ancient Order of (No. 3 Lodge), Foresters' hall
Gailey Thomas, wheelwright
Heygate Eleanor M. G. (Mrs.), farmer, Oaklands. Steens Bridge 217
King's Head P.H. (Mrs. Nellie Shock) every accommodation for tourists. Steens Bridge 214
Owens Arth. smallholder Stone ho
* Thomas Jn. farmer, West End
* Thomas Rd. farmer, Buckland. Steens Bridge 228
Wall Hy. J. farm bailiff to Thos. L. Walker esq. J.P. Uphampton & Lower Docklow farms. Steens Bridge 232
Williams Arthur, blacksmith

HAMPTON WAFER.
* Harding Albt. farmer

[Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie in June 2000
from a copy of Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1941 in Hereford Central Library]