"DONNINGTON, a parish in the hundred of RADLOW, county of HEREFORD, 2 miles (S. by W.) from Ledbury, containing 103 inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford, rated in the king's books at £3. 9. 9. The Rev. E. Freeman was patron in 1817. The church is dedicated to St. Mary." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Original source material relating to Donnington, and other parishes in Diocese of Gloucester may be found at the Gloucester Record Office.
- A record of Memorial Inscriptions in the graveyard is available on St Mary's Church Donnington webpage.
- An account of St Mary's Church Donnington History. This account is a copy (with a few updates) of a leaflet written by Rosemary Lockie in 1997 for a Church Flower Festival.
- There are transcriptions of Donnington Parish Registers, covering Baptisms/Marriages 1754-1812, and Burials 1765-2006, plus relevant entries from the parish registers of Dymock and Ledbury between 1556 and 1765.
- The parish records from 1754/5 onwards are deposited at Gloucestershire Archives. For entries prior to 1754, see the Ledbury (Herefordshire) Parish Registers, formerly at Ledbury Church, but now deposited at Hereford Record Office, and Dymock Parish Registers, available at the Gloucester Record Office for a period starting 1538. There are no Bishops Transcriptions for Donnington, but entries are included in the Bishops Transcripts for Ledbury, 1660-1865.
- Transcription of section of Edward Cassey & Co., History, Topography, and Directory of Herefordshire for Donnington in 1858, and Post Office Directory of Herefordshire for Donnington in 1863, by Barbara Haner.
- Transcription of sections of Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire for Donnington in 1867, 1905, 1913, 1934 and 1941, by Rosemary Lockie.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Donnington to another place.
- Previously in the diocese of Hereford, Donnington has been in the diocese of Gloucester since 1955.
You can see the administrative areas in which Donnington has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO712339 (Lat/Lon: 52.002785, -2.420941), Donnington which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- You may be interested in other places named Don(n)ington in the UK:
- Castle Donington, Leicestershire
- Donington, Leicestershire (nr Ibstock)
- Donington, Lincolnshire (nr Spalding)
- Donington, Shropshire (nr Newport)
- Donington, Shropshire (nr Shifnal)
- Donington-on-Bain, Lincolnshire (nr Louth)
- Donington Wood, Shropshire (nr Lilleshall)
- Donnington, Berkshire (nr Newbury)
- Donnington, Gloucestershire (nr Stow-on-the-Wold)
- Donnington, Shropshire (nr Wellington)
- Donnington, Sussex (nr Chichester)
- The following have been observed as spelling variants of this Herefordshire 'Donnington' in the early Ledbury parish records:
Dinnington, Dodyngton, Donington, Donyngton, Dydyngton, Dymnygton, Dynington, Dynngton, Dynnygton, Dynnyngton, Dynygton. Dynyngton.
- A list of Donnington Church Rectors 1305-1900, provided by Mel Lockie.