Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Dormington, Herefordshire - Kelly's Directory, 1913

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Dormington, Herefordshire - Kelly's Directory, 1913

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1913

Transcription by Rosemary Lockie © 2000
DORMINGTON, with the chapelry and township of Bartestree, is a parish and straggling village, on the high road from Hereford to Worcester, by Ledbury, 5¼ miles east from Hereford, 9 north-west from Ledbury and 145 from London and 2 from Withington station on the Ledbury and Worcester section of the Great Western railway, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Greytree, Hereford petty sessional division, rural district and county court district, rural deanery of Weston and archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford. The river Frome flows through the parish. The church of St. Peter is an ancient building of stone in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a western turret with small octagonal shingled spire containing 3 bells: the church was restored in 1876, and re-pewed and the chancel rebuilt and vestry added, at a cost of nearly £1,500, under the direction of Mr. Thomas [...] architect, of London. The register dates from the year 1690. The living is a vicarage, with the perpetual curacy of Bartestree annexed, joint net yearly income (£284) including 6 acres of glebe and 74 acres in parishes, with residence, in the gift of Paul Henry Foley esq. and held since 1886 by the Rev. Alfred Norris of St. John's College, Cambridge. The charities of this parish amount to £7 yearly, arising from Consols. Dormington Court is now leased as a farm by George Henry Bray. Paul Henry Foley esq. of Stoke Edith Park, is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is a red loam; subsoil, marl. There are several extensive hop grounds in this locality. Its area is 974 acres of land and 3 of water; rateable value £1,214: the population of Dormington in 1911 was exclusive of Bartestree.
   Sexton. E. Green.

   Letters through Hereford. Wall Letter Box cleared at () a.m. & 5.30 p.m. Bartestree is the nearest money order & telegraph office, 1 mile distant
   The children of this place attend Lugwardine school


PRIVATE RESIDENTS.

Rev. Alfred Norris M.A. & district councillor & guardian for Dormington & Stoke Edith, Vicarage Morris Herbert, Prior's court

COMMERCIAL.

Apperley James, farmer, Wootton
...ggs James, Prospect farm
Bray George Henry, farmer & hop grower & pedigree cattle breeder & estate agent & valuer, Dormington court. T N 19 Bartestree
Davies William Henry, breeder of pure bred Hereford cattle & pedigree. Ryeland sheep; farmer, hop & fruit grower, Claston (Telegrams, "Bartestree"; Telephone No. 9 Bartestree); & Pigeon house, Weston Beggard, Hereford. See advertisement

[Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie in July 2000
from a copy of Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1913 in Hereford Central Library]