Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Dormington, Herefordshire - Kelly's Directory, 1934

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Dormington, Herefordshire - Kelly's Directory, 1934

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1934

Transcription by Rosemary Lockie © 2000
DORMINGTON, is a parish and straggling village, on the high road from Hereford to Worcester, by Ledbury, 5¼ miles east from Hereford, 9 north-west from Ledbury and 145 from London and 2 from Withington station on the Hereford, Ledbury and Worcester section of the Great Western railway, in the Hereford division of the county, hundred of Greytree, petty sessional division, rural district and county court district of Hereford, rural deanery of Weston and archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford. The river Frome flows through the parish. The church of St. Peter is an ancient building of stone in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a western turret with small octagonal shingled spire containing 3 bells: the church was restored, repewed and the chancel rebuilt and vestry added in 1876. The register dates from the year 1690. The living is a vicarage, with the rectory of Stoke Edith annexed, joint net yearly value £462, with residence, in the gift of Henry Thomas H. Foley esq. and held since 1929 by the Rev. Ernest Coles M.A. of Worcester College, Oxford. The charities of this parish amount to £7 yearly, arising from Consols. Dormington Court is the property and residence of Herbert N. Moore esq. Herbert N. Moore esq. and Philip Thomas D. Davies esq. are the principal landowners. The soil is red loam; subsoil, marl. There are several extensive hop grounds in this locality. The area is 974 acres of land and 3 of water; the population in 1931 was 108 in the civil and of the ecclesiastical parish in 1921, 378.
   Letters through Hereford. Bartestree is the nearest M.O. & T. office



PRIVATE RESIDENTS.

(For T N's see general list of Private Residents at end of book.)

Coles Rev. Ernest M.A. (vicar), Vicarage Moore Herbert N. Dormington court

COMMERCIAL.

Marked thus * farm 150 acres or over.

Baggott Albert E. farmer
Booton Jsph. farmer & hop grower, Wootton (letters via Mordiford)
Davies Philip Thos. farmer & hop grower, Claston. Telegrams, "Bartestree"; T N Bartestree 9
* Moore Herbert N. farmer & hop grower, pedigree cattle & sheep breeder; breeder of the "Priors" prize-winning flock of Ryeland sheep & Hereford cattle, Dormington Court, & Priors Court farms. T N Bartestree 34; Telegrams, "Bartestree"; station, Stoke Edith

[Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie in June 2000
from a copy of Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1934 in Hereford City Library]