Dormington, Herefordshire - Kelly's Directory, 1941
Extract from Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1941Transcription by Rosemary Lockie © 2000
DORMINGTON, is a parish and straggling village, on the high road from Hereford to Worecester, by Ledbury, 5¼ miles east from Hereford, 9 north-west from Ledbury and 145 from London and 2 from Withington station on the Hereford, Ledbury and Worcester section of the Great Western railway, in the Hereford division of the county, hundred of Greytree, petty sessional division, rural district and county court district of Hereford, rural deanery of Weston and archdeaconry and diocese of Hertford. The river Frome flows through the parish. The Church of St. Peter is an ancient building of stone in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a western turret with small octagonal shingled spire containing 3 bells: the church was restored, repewed and the chancel rebuilt and vestry added in 1876. The register dates from the year 1690. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the rectory of Stoke Edith, joint net yearly value £462, with residence in the gift of Henry Thomas H. Foley esq. and held since 1934 by the Rev. Maurice Berkley M.A. of Hertford College, Oxford. The charities of this parish amount to £7 yearly, arising from Consols. Messrs. Philip Thomas Davies, William Henry Beile and Arnold L. Farr are the principal landowners. The soil is red loam; subsoil, marl. There are several extensive hop grounds in this locality. The area is 974 acres of land and 3 of water; the population in 1931 was 108.
Letters through Hereford. Bartestree is the nearest M.O. & T. office
Beile William Henry, Dormington crt Berkley Rev. Maurice M.A. (vicar), Vicarage
Marked thus * farm 150 acres or over.
* Beile Wm. Hy. farmer & hop grower, Dormington court. Bartestree 79
Booton Jsph. farmer & hop grower, Wootton (letters via Mordiford)
* Davies Philip Thos. farmer & hop grower, Claston. TA "Bartestree"; T N Bartestree 9
Farr Arnold Lilwall, farmer, Priors court. Bartestree 66
Green Benj. farmer, Prospect farm
[Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie in June 2000
from a copy of Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1941 in Hereford Central Library]