Dormington, Herefordshire - Post Office Directory, 1863
Extract from Post Office Directory of Herefordshire, 1863Transcription by Barbara Haner © 2004
DORMINGTON, with the chapelry and township of BARTESTREE is a parish and straggling village, distant 5¼ miles east from Hereford railway station, 9 north-west from Ledbury, and 145 from London, in the hundred of Greytree, Hereford union, county court district, archdeaconry and bishopric; and Weston deanery, situated on the high road leading from Hereford to Worcester, by Ledbury. The church of St. Peter is an old stone building, and consists of a nave, chancel, porch, with a tower containing 2 bells. Earliest date of the register is 1700. The living, is a vicarage, with the perpetual curacy of Bartestree annexed, the joint value of which is £284; with residence and 6 acres of glebe land, in the patronage of representatives of the late E.T. Foley, Esq.; the Rev. Langton Edward Brown, B.A., of Trinity College, Cambridge, is the incumbent. The population of Dormington in 1861 was 77; the acreage is 941. The soil is a red loam, and the subsoil marl. Lady Emily Foley, of Stoke Edith Park, is lady of the manor and chief landowner. There are several extensive hop grounds in this locality. The charities of this parish amount to £5 10s.yearly. Dormington Court is the residence of Mr. Thomas Vevers, attached to which is an extensive farm.
BARTESTREE is a chapelry and township to the parish of Dormington, from which place it is distant about 1 mile and a quarter to the north-west; it is situated on the Hereford and Worcester road, via Ledbury, in the hundred of Greytree, Hereford union, county court district, archdeaconry and bishopric; and Weston deanery. The chapel of St. James is a small modern stone edifice, the situation of which is exceedingly romantic. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to Dormington, the joint value being £284 annually. The population of the township in 1861 was 61; the acreage is 410, which is applied to arable, pasture, meadow, and hops. Bartestree Court, an extensive farm, is at present occupied by the owner, Mr. William Vevers. The scenery here is very picturesque.
Parish Clerk, John Harris.
Brown Rev Langton Edward, B.A. Vicarage
Vevers Mr. Thomas, Dormington court
Gladwin William, farmer, Moor house
Harris John, parish clerk
Link Francis, farmer
Newton Thomas, farmer, Prospect cot
Sanders William, farmer, Wootton
Taylor Elizth.. (Mrs.) farmer, Prior's ct
Taylor John, Claston
Vevers Thomas, farmer, Dormington ct
Farr William Arbrey, farmer, Lower Bartestree
Preece Ann (Mrs.), farmer, Broomy hill
Vevers Wm. Bartestree court
Letters through Hereford, which is the nearest money order office
CARRIER (passing through), ___ Carter, from Ledbury to Hereford, saturday, returning same day
[Transcribed by Barbara E. Haner in June 2004
from a personal copy of Post Office Directory of Herefordshire, 1863]