Dorstone, Herefordshire - Kelly's Directory, 1913
Extract from Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1913Transcription by Rosemary Lockie © 2000
DORSTONE is a parish and village, at the opening of the Golden Valley, and on the river Dore, which takes its rise from the Golden Well in this parish; it is 16 miles west from Hereford, 6 east from Hay, 10 south-west from Weobley and about 158 from London, in the northern division of the county, Webtree hundred, Hay division and county court district, Bredwardine petty sessional division, rural deanery of Abbey Dore, and archdeanery and diocese of Hereford. There is a station here on the Golden Valley (Great Western) railway, from Pontrilas junction to Hay. The church of St. Faith, a large edifice of stone, in the Early English style, was entirely rebuilt in the year 1839 from designs by Messrs. Nicholson and Son, of Hereford, as nearly as possible on the lines of the old church, probably erected in the 11th or 12th century, but entirely demolished in 1826 and replaced by a new structure of debased character: the existing church consists of chancel, nave, south porch and a western tower containing 4 bells of the 17th century: there is also a side chapel containing a good modern two-manual organ: on the north side of the old chancel was a chapel dedicated to St. Mary, and built by John de Brito in 1255, as appears from an inscribed stone, portions of which were discovered during the rebuilding in 1889: the pulpit, erected in 1865 at a cost of £100, is a memorial to the wife of Francis Robert Trumper esq. of Hay, who died in 1865: the stained east window was erected in 1889 to the Rev. Thomas Powell, M.A. rector 1843-1887, and there are others, on the south side of the chancel to Percy Davies, 1894, and Caroline W. Davies, 1903: the carved oak lectern was made from old timber found in the church by Mr. Clarke, of Hereford. The register of baptisms and burials dates front the year 1733; marriages, 1755. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £270, with 32½ acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of T.P.P. Powell esq. of Staunton-on-Arrow, Herefordshire. and held since 1906 by the Rev. George Henry Powell M.A. of Merton, Oxford, who is also rural dean of Abbeydore. Here is a Primitive Methodist chapel, erected in 1864. The charities
Note: Unfortunately this extract is incomplete, as my photocopy did not cover all the pages of the Directory devoted to this parish. Sorry.
[Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie in July 2000
from a copy of Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1913 in Hereford Central Library]