Dorstone, Herefordshire - Kelly's Directory, 1934
Extract from Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1934Transcription by Rosemary Lockie © 2000
DORSTONE is a parish and village, at the opening of the Golden Valley, and on the river Dore, which takes its rise from the Golden Well in this parish; it is 15 miles west from Hereford, 6 east from Hay, 10 south-west from Weobley and about 158 from London, in the Leominster division of the county, Webtree hundred, Hay county court district, Bredwardine petty sessional division and rural district, rural deanery of Abbeydore, and archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford. There is a station here on the Golden Valley section of the Great Western railway, from Pontrilas Junction to Hay. The church of St. Faith, a large edifice of stone, in the Early English style, was entirely rebuilt in the year 1889 from designs by Messrs. Nicholson and Son, of Hereford, as nearly as possible on the lines of the old church, probably erected in the 11th or 12th century, but entirely demolished in 1826 and replaced by a new structure of debased character; the existing church consists of chancel, nave, south porch and a western tower containing 4 bells, 3 of the 17th century and one 16th century: there is also a side chapel containing a good modern two-manual organ: on the north side of the old chancel was a chapel dedicated to St. Mary, and built by John de Brito in 1255, as appears from an inscribed stone, portions of which were discovered during the rebuilding in 1889: the pulpit, erected in 1865, is a memorial to the wife of Francis Robert Trumper esq. who died in that year: the stained east window was erected in 1889 to the Rev. Thomas Powell M.A. rector 1843-1887, and there are others on the south side of the chancel to Percy Davies, 1894, and Caroline W. Davies, 1903: the carved oak...
Note: Unfortunately this extract is incomplete, as my photocopy did not cover all the pages of the Directory devoted to this parish. Sorry.
[Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie in June 2000
from a copy of Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1934 in Hereford Central Library]