"EARDISLEY, a parish in the hundred of HUNTINGTON, county of HEREFORD, 6 miles (S. by W.) from Kington, containing 683 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford, rated in the king's books at £7. 12. 6., and in the patronage of Thomas Perry, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene. Here is a National school Courts leet and baron are held occasionally; and fairs for cattle, cheese, and butter, are on May 15th and October. 18th. The Brecon and Kington rail-road passes at the south end of the village. Several helmets have been dug up; and there are slight remains of a castle. Half a mile hence is a remarkable oak tree, held in great respect by the poor inhabitants, and supposed to be four hundred years old. Some of its branches average about two feet in diameter; its girth at the bottom is sixty feet, and it covers a surface of three hundred and twenty-four feet in circular extent." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- The transcription of the section for Eardisley from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Eardisley to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Eardisley has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO313493 (Lat/Lon: 52.137913, -3.005619), Eardisley which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)