Eardisley, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"EARDISLEY, a parish in the hundred of Huntington, county Hereford, 5 miles S. of Kington, and 14 N.W. of Hereford. It is situated on the Kington and Brecon tramroad, near the river Wye. It contains the hamlets of Upper Spend, Lower Welson, and Woodeaves. The parish, which is well wooded, is mountainous towards the S., and is interspersed with rich plantations. There is a considerable tract of common. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Hereford, value £255, in the patronage of W. P. Herrick, Esq., who is lord of the manor.
The church, dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene, is a stone structure of the 14th century, with tower and five bells. It contains a stone font of ancient date, richly carved. There is also at Bellingham a chapel-of-ease, a plain stone structure. The charities amount to £10 per annum. The Wesleyan Methodists have a chapel, and there is a National school. An oak tree, believed to be one of the largest in this country, stands on Hurstway Common. There are remains of a Roman fortified camp. A fair is held on the 15th May for live stock and hiring of servants, and one on the 18th October for live stock and cheese."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]