Eastnor, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"EASTNOR, a parish in the hundred of Radlow, county Hereford, 1 mile E. of Ledbury, its post town, and 8 miles N. of Newent. It is situated on the W. side of the Malvern hills, on the road from Cheltenham to Hereford. The parish is well wooded, and diversified with hill and dale. The substratum is a grey limestone, abounding in marine shells. This stone is susceptible of a high polish, and is much used for chimney-pieces. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Hereford, value £430, in the patronage of Earl Somers, who is lord of the manor.
The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, has recently been rebuilt in the Gothic style of architecture, at the joint expense of the patron and rector. The old church was Norman, some portions of which have been preserved. The tombs of the family of Earl Somers are within the church; and the place gives the title of viscount to that family. Eastnor Castle, the residence of Earl Somers, has been recently rebuilt. There are some ancient earthworks, supposed to be of Roman origin; and to the E. of the village are the ruins of an ancient castle, surrounded by a moat."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]