Eaton Bishop is a vibrant community composed of the village itself, Ruckhall and Lower Eaton. This area has been inhabited since the Iron age; the fort at Ruckhall has recently been excavated and the findings and report are available on the village website.
St Michael's and All Angels' Church a jewel in the crown in Herefordshire. It contains stained glass dating back to the 13th Century, which Pevsner extols as one of the best in England.
There is a village website at www.eatonbishop.org and a facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/WeareEatonBishop/
"EATON (BISHOP), a parish in the hundred of WEBTREE, county of HEREFORD, 5 miles (W.) from Hereford, containing 452 inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory, in the peculiar jurisdiction of the Dean of Hereford, rated in the king's books at £ 13, and in the patronage of the Bishop of Hereford. The church is dedicated to St. Michael." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- The transcription of the section for Eaton Bishop from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Eaton Bishop to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Eaton Bishop has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO444391 (Lat/Lon: 52.047265, -2.812586), Eaton Bishop which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)