Hide

Elton, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"ELTON, a parish in the hundred of Wigmore, county Hereford, 3 miles N.E. of Wigmore, its post town, and 5 S.W. of Ludlow. It is situated on the turnpike road between the two towns. The land is nearly equally divided between arable and pasture. There is some fine oak timber. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Hereford, value £145. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient stone structure with tower. It contains some old carvings and tablets, and a register chest of rather ancient date. There are small charities of about £2 per annum. Mrs. Salwey is lady of the manor."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]