Ewyas Harold, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"EWYAS-HAROLD, a parish in the hundred of Webtree, county Hereford, 12 miles S.W. of Hereford, its post town. It is situated near the river Monnow, and the Pontrilas station on the West Midland railway is about 1 mile from the village. A castle was built here in the reign of Harold, and a monastery founded as a cell to Gloucester Abbey in the early part of the 12th century. At one time it was a lordship of great extent, and after the Conquest was given to William Fitz Osborne, Earl of Hereford. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford, value £110. The church is an ancient stone edifice, dedicated to St. Nicholas. It contains some monumental tablets. There is a National school for both sexes. The Earl of Abergavenny is lord of the manor."
"PONTRILAS, a hamlet in the parish of Ewyas Harold, hundred of Webtree, county Hereford, 10 miles S.W. of Hereford. It is a station on the Hereford, Abergavenny, and Newport section of the West Midland railway. The principal residence is Pontrilas Court, in the valley of the river Monnow."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]