Hide

Hentland, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"HENTLAND, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Wormelow, county Hereford, 4 miles N.W. of Ross, its railway station and post town, 10 N. of Monmouth, and 10 S. of Hereford. It is situated near the river Wye, which is here navigable for barges, and on the road from Ross to Hereford, being a short distance from the junction of the road from Hereford to Monmouth. The soil consists of red loam with subsoil of rock and clay. The land is chiefly arable, with a small proportion of pasture and woodland.

The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Hereford, value with the perpetual curacy of Little Dewchurch and curacy of Hoarwithy annexed, £310. The church, dedicated to St. Dubritius, is an ancient stone structure, with a square embattled tower containing five bells. The church has recently been restored. In the village of Hoarwithy is a small chapel-of-ease. The Wesleyans also have a place of worship. The parochial charities produce about £1 per annum."

"ABERHALL, a small place in the parish of Hentland, in the county of Hereford, 4 miles N.W. from Ross railway station, near the junction of the road from Hereford to Monmouth."

"ALTBOUGH, a township in the parish of Hentland, in the lower division of Wormelow hundred, in the county of Hereford, 4 miles to the N. W. of Ross railway station. The soil is red loam."

"KYNASTONE, a township in the parish of Hentland, county Hereford, 4 miles N.W. of Ross. It is situated on the bank of the river Wye."

"NEW INN, a hamlet in the parish of Hentland and hundred of Greytree, county Hereford, 4 miles W. of Ross. It is situated near the river Wye."

"TREADDOW, a township in the parish of Hentland, county Hereford, 4 miles N.W. of Ross."

"TRESSICK, a township in the parish of Hentland, county Hereford, 4 miles N.W. of Ross."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]