"HEREFORD, a city (ancient), having separate jurisdiction, locally in the hundred of Grimsworth, county of HEREFORD, of which it is the chief town, 135 miles (W. N. W.) from London, containing, exclusively of the townships of Lower Bullingham and Grafton, which are in the hundred of Webtree, 9090 inhabitants. ... The city was first incorporated by charter of Richard I., dated at Westminster in 1189, and has since that period received twentyfour confirmatory charters from successive monarchs, under the last of which, the government was vested in a mayor, high steward, deputy steward (who performs the duty of recorder), two chamberlains, six aldermen, and twenty-four chief citizens, assisted by a town clerk, coroner,, sword bearer, and four Serjeants at mace, and other officers. ... The diocese of Hereford includes nearly the whole of the county, with part of Shropshire, four parishes in Monmouthshire, six in Montgomeryshire, six in Radnorshire, and twenty-one in Worcestershire. ... The cathedral, originally erected in expiation of the murder of Ethelbert, and dedicated to St. Mary and St. Ethelbert, was built by Melfrid, a viceroy under Egbert, about 825, principally by means of the propitiating gifts of Offa, but having fallen into decay in less than two centuries, it was rebuilt during the prelacy of Bishop Athelstan, or Ethelstan, between 1012 and 1015; it was subseqxiently destroyed by fire, and lay in ruins till 1079, when Bishop Robert de Lezinga, appointed to this see by William the Conqueror, commenced a new edifice, erected on the model of the church of Alcen, now Aix la Chapelle, which was completed by Bishop Raynelm in 1107, with the exception of the tower, that having been built by Bishop Giles de Braos in the following century. ... The living of St. John the Baptist's is a discharged vicarage, ... The living of St. Martin's is a discharged vicarage, united to that of All Saints: ... The living of the parish of St. Nicholas is a discharged rectory, ... The living of St. Owen's is a rectory, united to the vicarage of St. Peter's, ... The living of St. Peter's is a discharged vicarage, with the rectory of St. Owen's, ..." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Shoesmith, Ron - The Civil War in Hereford. Published by the Logaston Press, 1995, 166p. £8.95. (p/b)
- ISBN 1-873827-34-2
Chapters are on 1: Hereford - from its origins to the 17th century; 2: Build-up to the War; 3: Hereford takes action; 4: The attack by the Earl of Stamford 30 September, 1642; 5: The assault by Sir William Waller 25 April, 1643; 6: After the Surrender; 7: The Scots army arrives 30 July till 1 September, 1645 ; 8: After the Seige; 9: 'A new tricke to take townes' December, 1645; 10: Hereford and Colonel John Birch; 11: Damage and Destruction.
- Roberts, Graham - The Shaping of Modern Hereford. Published by the Logaston Press, 2001, 230p. £12.95. (p/b)
- ISBN 1-873827-67-9
Chapters are on 1: Setting the Scene; 2: Commerce; 3: Transport; 4: Industry and Skills; 5: Hygiene and Healthcare; 6: Housing and Town Planning; 7: Public Institutions and Social Development; 8: Leisure and Recreation; 9: New Horizons.
In addition there is a Chronology of Notable Events, beginning in AD 75, when the Romans established the settlement known as 'Magnis'.
- The parish of Hereford St Martin "Included townships of Grafton and Lower Bullingham until 1866. Includes Blackmarstone and Putson. The church was destroyed in 1645 and not rebuilt until 1845. During this time it was annexed to HEREFORD, ALL SAINTS but many entries, especially for Lower Bullingham and Grafton are in the registers of BULLINGHAM, q.v."
(Ref: The Parish Registers of Herefordshire, J Harnden, 1987, ISBN 0 95123 47 0 6)
Herefordshire parishes (with dates of earliest registers):
- The transcription of the section for Hereford from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Hereford to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Hereford has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO510399 (Lat/Lon: 52.055393, -2.71594), Hereford which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)