Hope under Dinmore
"HOPE-under-DINMORE, a parish in the hundred of WOLPHY, county of HEREFORD, 4 miles (S. by E.) from Leominster, containing 528 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford, endowed with £400 private benefaction, and £ 1200 royal bounty, and in -the patronage of the Bishop of Hereford. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, contains the remains of several members of the Coningsby family, one of whom, Sir Thomas, founded Coningsby's hospital, in Hereford. On the western brow of Dinmore hill is the site of a commandery of the Knights of St. John of Jerusalem." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Beale, Catherine - Champagne and Shambles: The Arkwrights and the Downfall of the Landed Aristocracy, Sutton Publishing, 2006. ISBN 0750943920. An excellent book on the Arkwrights of Hampton Court, Hope-under-Dinmore. References to many Herefordshire Arkwright landowning and to inter-married families. Information on working conditions on Arkwright estate, social provision for villagers. Very interesting general history of developments in agriculture in Herefordshire in the second half of 19th century. Information provided by Liz Summerson.
- The transcription of the section for Hope under Dinmore from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Hope under Dinmore to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Hope under Dinmore has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO507525 (Lat/Lon: 52.168247, -2.722893), Hope under Dinmore which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)