Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Hope under Dinmore, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Hope under Dinmore, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"HOPE-UNDER-DINMORE, a parish in the hundred of Wolphy, county Hereford, 4 miles S. of Leominster, its post town, 9 from Hereford, and 2 S. of the Ford Bridge station on the Shrewsbury and Hereford railway. The parish extends from the turnpike road between Leominster and Hereford, and near the river Lugg, across to Upper Hill. It formerly had a preceptory of the Knights Templars on Dinmore Hill, the ruins of which are still to be seen. The principal tunnel of the Shrewsbury and Hereford railway passes under Dinmore Hill, and is upwards of 1,000 yards long. There are some springs in the neighbourhood, of a petrifying quality. The land is partly in hop grounds and apple orchards.

The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Hereford, value £150. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a modern edifice, with a tower containing three bells. The interior of the church contains tombs of the Coningsbys of Hampton Court, ancestors of the Earl of Essex. The parochial charities produce about £4 per annum. There is a free school, and a National school at the Upper Hill end of the parish.

The principal residence is Hampton Court, built under the auspices of Henry IV., by Sir Rowland Lenthall, who distinguished himself at Agincourt, where he had a command, and took so many prisoners that with their ransom he completed the building. It is a noble structure surrounding a quadrangular court, with a square entrance tower in the centre of the N. front, also a smaller one at each extremity. It is situated on an extensive lawn, which is watered by the river Lugg, and sheltered on the N.E. by rising ground. The park, which is 8 miles in circumference, is well wooded and stocked with deer.

The mansion has undergone many repairs and alterations of late years, with the exception of one state apartment occupied, by William III. during his visit here. There are some valuable old paintings and other relics. This mansion was formerly the seat of the earls of Essex, from whom it passed to Richard Arkwright, in whose family it still remains, and is the seat of John Arkwright, lord of the manor."

"HAMPTON COURT, an extra parochial liberty, locally in the parish of Hope-under-Dinmore, hundred of Wolphy, county Hereford, 5 miles S.S.E. of Leominster. It is situated on the eastern bank of the river Lugg, and is the site of the fine old seat of the earls of Essex, originally built by Sir R. Lenthall, who distinguished himself at the battle of Agincourt. The buildings form a quadrangle, and were restored by Campbell in the castellated style. On the N. side is the gate-house, and two angular towers. Adjoining one of these is the chapel, with a carved timber roof. In the picture gallery are portraits by Jansen, Holbein, Vandyck, Lely, and' Reynolds, including an original one of Henry IV. Here is also preserved William III.'s bed, and the handkerchief with which Lord Coningsby wiped the king's wound at the battle of the Boyne. The mansion is surrounded by a park and pleasure grounds about 8 miles in circuit."

"NEWTON, a hamlet in the parish of Hope under Dinmore and hundred of Wolphy, county Hereford, 3 miles S. of Leominster, and 10 N. of Hereford. It is situated in the fertile valley of the river Lugg, near the Leominster canal."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]