Humber, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"HUMBER, a parish in the hundred of Wolphy, county Hereford, 3 miles S.E. of Leominster, its post town and railway station, and 13 from Hereford. It is situated on the river Lug, and on the Worcester and Bromyard turnpike roads. The parish includes the township of Risbury. The land is partly in hops, and the soil clayey. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Hereford, value £170. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a small stone structure, with a tower. There is a free school. Higford David Burrs, Esq., is lord of the manor and principal landowner."
"RISBURY, a township in the parishes of Humber and Stoke-Prior, hundred of Wolphy, county Hereford, 4½ miles S.E. of Leominster. It is situated near Risbury Cross, and contains a Danish camp, enclosing an area of about 30 acres."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]