Humber, Herefordshire - Kelly's Directory, 1856
Extract from Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1856Transcription by Richard Lane © 2002
HUMBER, is a township and parish, 3 miles east- south-east from Leominster Station, 13 from Hereford, and 160 from London, in Wolphy Hundred, Leominster Union, electoral and petty Sessional division, Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric; situated on the Worcester and Bromyard turnpike roads. The church of St. Mary is a small stone building; has tower, nave, porch, chancel, and organ. The living is a rectory, worth about £80 yearly, with residence and 132 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor; The Rev. Octavius Pitt Goodrich, B.A. is the incumbent. There is a Free School. The population in 1851, of Humber Township was 61, and the acreage of the parish is 1,362. The soil is clayey. Higford David Burrs, Esq., is the lord of the manor and chief landowner.
The township of RISBURY is partly within this parish, in which it has 203 inhabitants.
UPPER, LOWER, and LITTLE PRIDELTON< The Court, and Wood Farm, are places here.
HUMBER Goodrich Rev. Octavius Pitt, B.A. Rectory TRADERS Bailey Henry, farmer, Upper Pridelton Mason Thomas, farmer, The Court Gatehouse Wm., farmer, Lower Pridelton Newman James, farmer, Wood Jones Edward, farmer, Little Pridelton Phillips James, parish clerk
RISBURY TRADERS Badger Sarah, shopkeeper Lippett Sarah (Mrs.), farmer Fraser Thomas, miller, Risbury Mill Maund James, boot and shoemaker Jenks John, boot and shoemaker Morgan George, farmer Lambert William, farmer, Risbury Court
Letters through Leominster, which is the nearest money order office
[Transcribed by Richard Lane in December 2002
from a copy of Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1856 in Hereford Central Library]