Humber, Herefordshire - Kelly's Directory, 1858
Extract from Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1858Transcription by Richard Lane © 2002
HUMBER, is a township, 3 miles east-south-east from Leominster Station, 13 from Hereford, and 160 from London, in Wolphy Hundred, Leominster Union, electoral and petty Sessional division, Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric; situated on the Worcester and Bromyard turnpike roads. The church of St. Mary is a neat stone building; has tower, nave, porch, chancel, and organ. The living is a rectory, worth about £80 yearly, with residence and 132 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor. There is a Free School. The population in 1861, of Humber Township was 61, and the acreage of the parish is 1,362. The soil is clayey. Higford David Burrs, Esq., is the lord of the manor and chief landowner. Priddleton House is the residence of Mr. Henry Bayley.
The township of RISBURY is partly within this parish, in which it has 203 inhabitants. Here is a good corn mill. Risbury Camp commands an area of 8 acres, now annexed to the farm of Mr. W. Lambert. It is one of the line of British encampments which began at Malvern Hills.
Letters through Leominster, which is the nearest money order office.
HUMBER Bailey Henry, farmer, Pridelton House Lambert John, plumber, Gate House Gatehouse Wm., farmer, Lower Pridelton Mason Thomas, farmer, The Court Goodrich Rev. Octavius Pitt, B.A. Rectory Phillips James, parish clerk
RISBURY Froysell Thomas, miller & farmer, Risbury Mill Lippett Sarah (Mrs.), farmer Jenkins John, shoemaker Maund James, shoemaker Lambert William, farmer, Risbury Court Morgan George, farmer
[Transcribed by Richard Lane in December 2002
from a copy of Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1858 in Hereford Central Library]