Humber, Herefordshire - Trade Directory, 1863
Extract from Trade Directory of Herefordshire, 1863Transcription by Richard Lane © 2002
HUMBER is a parish, with scattered population, 3 miles east-south-east from Leominster Station, 13 north from Hereford, and 160 from London, in Wolphy hundred, Leominster union, county court district, electoral and petty Sessional division and rural deanery, and Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric; situated a little on the south side of the Leominster and Bromyard turnpike roads. St. Mary is a small stone building, and has tower, nave, porch, chancel, and organ. The living is a rectory, worth £80 yearly, with residence and 132 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor; Rev. Octavius Pitt Goodrich, B.A., is the incumbent. There is a Free School at Risbury. The population in 1861 was 251; the acreage is 1,494: the soil is clayey. Higford David Burns, Esq., is lord of the manor and chief landowner.
RISBURY township is partly within this parish, and partly in Stoke Prior.
UPPER, LOWER, and LITTLE PRIDELTON, THE COURT, and WOOD FARM, are places here.
Parish Clerk, James Phillips.
Humber Goodrich Rev. Octavius Pitt, B.A. [rector], Rectory COMMERCIAL Bemand Robert, farmer, Wood Farm Mason Thomas, farmer, The Court Crump Wm. Farmer, Upper Pridelton Vale Mark, farmer, Newhous Gatehouse Wm. Farmer, Low. Pridelton
Risbury Griffiths Edward, farmer & castrator, Little Maidenhead Lippett Sarah, (Mrs.), farmer, Low Brook Jenks John, boot & shoe maker Maund James, boot & shoe maker Lambert Henry, miller, Risbury Mill Morgan George, farmer, Butt Oak Gate. Lambert William, farmer, Risbury Court
Letters through Leominster, which is the nearest money order office
[Transcribed by Richard Lane in December 2002
from an original edition of this 1863 Trade Directory in Hereford Central Library]