Hide

Huntington, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"HUNTINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Huntington, county Hereford, 4 miles S.W. of Kington, its post town, 16 W. of Leominster, and 23 from Hereford. The parish, which is small, is situated on the river Arrow, and has the ruins of an old castle of the Bohuns, once a place of great strength. The pastures are rich, and the dairy farms well managed. The living is a rectory, with the vicarage* of Kington annexed, in the diocese of Hereford, value £520, in the patronage of the Bishop of Worcester. The church, dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene, is an ancient stone edifice, with a wooden turret containing two bells. The charities produce about £118 per annum, which goes to Goff's free school. There is a place of worship for the Independents. Two large fairs are held on 18th July and 13th November for cattle, &c."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]