Hide

Kenderchurch, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"KENDERCHURCH, a parish in the hundred of Webtree, county Hereford, 11 miles S.W. of Hereford, its post town, 2 S.E. of Abbey Dore, and 1 mile N.W. of Pontrilas railway station. The village, which is small, is situated on the river Dore, and is wholly agricultural. The parish is crossed by the road from Hereford to Abergavenny, and also by a tram-road, which runs parallel with it. The land is nearly evenly divided between arable and pasture, with a small extent of woodland. The tithes were purchased by the landowners at the commencement of the present century. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Hereford, value £58. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient stone structure, built on an eminence, and has lately been restored. It has a small belfry containing one bell. Colonel Scudamore is lord of the manor."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]