Killpeck, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"KILLPECK, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Wormelow, county Hereford, 9 miles S.W. of Hereford, its post town, and 1 mile E. of St. Devereux railway station. It is situated on a branch of the river Monnow, and has the ruins of an old castle formerly belonging to the Kilpecs, who were descended from Hugh Fitzwilliam, a natural son of the Conqueror. A small priory for Black Canons was founded here as a cell to Gloucester Abbey. The land is partly in hops, with much arable and meadow, and 140 acres of woodland. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Hereford, value £50, in the patronage of the Bishop of Worcester.
The church, dedicated to SS. Mary and David, is a specimen of Norman architecture, built in 1134 by Hugh Fitzwilliam. It has a square tower containing four bells, and is remarkable for its symbolical style of building, the number and arrangement of the windows, buttresses, &c., symbolising the Trinity, Commandments, Gospels, &c. In the interior are several tablets. The parochial charities produce about £5 per annum. There is a free school for children of both sexes, supported by the Rev. Archer Clive. Mynde Park is the principal residence. T. G. Symonds, Esq., is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]