Hide

Kings Caple, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"KINGS CAPLE, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Wormelow, in county Hereford; 5 miles N.W. of Ross; its post town, 9 S.E. of Hereford, and 1 mile from the Fawley station on the Hereford, Ross, and Gloucester railway. It is situated on the river Wye, which is crossed by a ferry boat at Ruxtone. The soil is various. The appropriate tithes, which belong to the Dean and Chapter of Hereford, have been commuted for a rent-charge of £330, and the vicarial for £172 10s. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage* of Sellack, in the diocese of Hereford. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, has a tower crowned by a spire and containing five bells. The charities produce about £15 per annum, of which £5 goes to a school. There is a National school, supported by voluntary contributions."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]