Kingsland, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"KINGSLAND, a parish in the hundred of Stretford, county Hereford, 5 miles N.W. of Leominster, its post town, and 15 from Hereford. It is a station on the Leominster and Kington railway. The village is situated in a fertile valley watered by the rivers Lug and Pinsley. The parish consists of the townships of Aston, Lawton, Street, Longford, and West Town. The land is chiefly arable, and the soil clay and gravel. The village, which is considerable, was formerly a market town. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £785 to the rector, and £55 to the grammar school of Eardisland.
The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Hereford, value £800 The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is a stone structure with an embattled tower containing a clock and six bells. In the interior are a stained window, a piscina, sedilia, and several monuments. The church was built in the reign of Edward I. by Edward Lord Mortimer, to whom a pedestal has been erected at a short distance from the village, near the junction of the roads, in commemoration of the battle of Mortimer's Gross, which was fought here in 1461.
The parochial charities produce about £37 per annum, of which £10 goes to Woodhouse's school, which is conducted on the National plan. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. The old Roman road passes through the grounds of the ancient mansion of Street-Court. The Rev. R. D. Evans is lord of the manor. A fair is held on the 11th October for cattle, sheep, horses, and pigs."
"ASTON, a village in the parish of Kingsland, hundred of Stretford, in the county of Hereford, 3 miles to the W. of Leominster. It is situated on the river Lug."
"LAWTON, a village in the parish of Kingsland, county Hereford, 3 miles W. of Leominster."
"LONGFORD, a hamlet in the parish of Kingsland, hundred of Stretford, county Hereford, 4 miles N.W. of Leominster."
"STREET, a village in the parish of Kingsland, county Hereford, 2 miles N. E. of Pembridge, on the Roman way to Staunton."
"WEST TOWN, a hamlet in the parish of Kingsland, county Hereford, 4 miles N.W. of Leominster."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]