Hide

Lea, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"LEA, a parish partly in the hundred of Greytree, county Hereford, 11½ miles N.W. of Gloucester, its post town, and 4½ S.E. of Ross. The village, which is small, is situated on the Ross and Gloucester road; and on the Hereford, Ross, and Gloucester railway. The inhabitants are principally engaged in agriculture. A part of this parish was formerly in Gloucester. The soil is sand and marl on subsoil rock. Building stone is found in various parts of the parish. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £68, in the patronage of the Vicar of Linton. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is an ancient red sandstone edifice, with a spired tower containing three bells. It has recently been thoroughly restored. The charities produce about £6 per annum. There is a parochial school."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]