Hide

Leintwardine, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"LEINTWARDINE, a parish in the hundred of Wigmore, county Hereford, 9 miles S.W. of Ludlow, its post town, and 5 S.W. of Onbury railway station. The parish, which is extensive, is situated on the turnpike road leading from Ludlow to Knighton, and near the confluence of the rivers Tome and Clun. These rivers are celebrated for their abundance of trout and grayling, which causes the village to be a favourite resort of anglers. The parish has for several centuries been the property of the Harley family, earls of Oxford, through the Mortimers. It contains the townships of Leintwardine, Brakes, Kinton, Whitton, Trippleton, Marlow Heath, Jay, Walford, Letton, Newton, Adforton, Paytoe, and Stanway with the Grange. About a mile distant from the village is a Roman camp, with a single ditch and rampart, named Brandon Camp.

The soil is loamy, and the subsoil limestone, of which several quarries are in operation. The ancient forest of Mocktree, which has long been disafforested, is in this parish. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Hereford, value £400. The church, dedicated to St. Magdalen, is a large ancient structure, with a tower containing six bells. It has a fine E. window, and some beautiful fragments of ancient stained glass, representing crowns, lions, fleurs-de-lis, with the arms of Mortimer, &c.

The parochial charities comprise several bequests divisible among the poor in coal, bread, and clothing annually. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. There are National schools for both sexes, with an income from endowment of £60 per annum. Heath House, the principal residence, is situated about 3 miles from the village. Lady Langdale and Sir William Rouse Boughton are owners of the manor. Fairs are held on the Monday before Easter, and on the 26th September, for cattle, sheep, pigs, horses, &c. Races take place annually in September."

"ADFORTON, a township united with those of Stanway, Paytoe, and Grange, in the parish of Leintwardine, hundred of Wigmore, in the county of Hereford, 7 miles to the S.W. of Ludlow, and 2 miles from the village of Leintwardine, near the confluence of the rivers Tome and Clun, which abound in trout and grayling."

"BRAKES, a township in the parish of Leintwardine, hundred of Wigmore, in the county of Hereford, 4 miles to the W. of Ludlow."

"GRANGE, a hamlet and township in the parish of Leintwardine, hundred of Wigmore, county Hereford, 1 mile from the village of Leintwardine, and 7 S.W. of Ludlow. This is united with the township of Adforton, and was a part of the demesne of Wigmore Abbey."

"HEATH AND JAY, a township in the parish of Leintwardine, hundred of Wigmore, county Hereford, 6 miles W. of Ludlow."

"JAY, a township in the parish of Leintwardine, county Hereford, 7 miles W. of Ludlow. It is joined to Heath."

"KINGTON, a township in the parish of Leintwardine, hundred of Wigmore, county Hereford, 6 miles W. of Ludlow. It is a small agricultural place."

"LETTON, a hamlet in the parish of Leintwardine, hundred of Wigmore, county Hereford, 8 miles S.W. of Ludlow, and 6 S.E. of Knighton. It is joined to Walford. There is a National school."

"MARLOW, a township in the parish of Leintwardine, hundred of Wigmore, county Hereford, 7 miles N.W. of Ludlow. It is situated on the river Clun."

"NEWTON, a hamlet in the parish of Leintwardine, hundred of Wigmore, county Hereford, 5 miles N.E, of Presteign. It is joined with Litton and Walford to form a township."

"PAYTOE, a hamlet in the parish of Leintwardine, hundred of Wigmore, county Hereford, 2 miles from the parish church of Leintwardine, and 6 S.W. of Ludlow. It forms, in conjunction with Adforton, a township"

"STANWAY, a hamlet in the parish of Leintwardine, hundred of Wigmore, county Hereford, 7 miles S.W. of Ludlow, and 2 from the village of Leintwardine."

"TRIPPLETON, a township in the parish of Leintwardine, county Hereford, 6 miles W. of Ludlow. It is on the river Teme, and is joined with Whitton."

"WALFORD, a township in the parish of Leintwardine, hundred of Wigmore, county Hereford, 8 miles S.W. of Ludlow. It is situated near the river Teme, and includes the hamlets of Letton and Newton."

"WHITTON, a township in the parish of Leintwardine, hundred of Wigmore, county Hereford, 5 miles W. of Ludlow. It is joined with Trippleton to form a township"

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]