Leominster, Herefordshire - Kelly's Directory, 1879
Extract from Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1879
Transcription by Richard Lane © 2003
LEOMINSTER is a municipal and parliamentary borough, market and union town, head of a county court district, polling place for the county, station on the Shrewsbury and Hereford railway line and junction of the Leominster and Kington railway. 42¾ miles from Gloucester, 38½ south from Shrewsbury, 11½ south from Ludlow, 24½ north-by-west from Ross, 80¼ from Bristol, 49¾ from Cheltenham, 109½ from Bath, 157 from London, and 12½ north from Hereford, in the hundred of Wolphy, rural deanery of Leominster, archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford. There are three rivers running through the town: - the Lugg, Pinsley, and Kenwater. Leominster comprises one parish only, which is upwards of seven miles in length, and is divided into two parts, viz. the In-Parish and the Out-Parish, from which, however, a portion has been severed for ecclesiastical purposes, and designated "The district chapelry of St. John, Ivington". The railway station adjoins the town and an extensive trading business with Radnorshire and adjacent parts is carried on by the opening of the junction line of railway from this town to Kington and its neighbourhood, which took place in August 1858. An Act of Parliament was passed some years since for the formation of a line of railway between Worcester, Bromyard and Leominster, but, as yet, the directors have not been able to complete their works as far as Bromyard, and it is very doubtful whether the time allowed by Parliament for the execution of the work will not expire before they are able to accomplish it. The town was incorporated by ancient charter of Queen Mary: and as early as the year 1295 returned members to parliament: by the "Representation of the People Act, 1867," it now returns 1 member only. The corporation consists of a mayor, four aldermen, and twelve common councilmen. The borough magistrates (six in number) have separate jurisdiction, and hold petty sessions at the Town-Hall every Thursday at 11 a.m.; the county justices for the Leominster division meet at the county police station every alternate Friday at 12. The Local Government Act, 21 & 22 Victoria, cap. 98, has been adopted by the borough of Leominster, the Home Secretary excluding from the operation of the Act all that portion of the municipal borough known as the Out-parish of Leominster: the members of the Town Council comprise the Board: the Board acting by the council of the borough, in 1867 expended from ten to twelve thousand pounds in perfecting a system of sewerage and of water supply for the inhabitants: the water, which is pumped from their engine-house near the Station, to their reservoir at Newlands, has been pronounced by analysis to be very pure. The ordinary meetings of the Board are held on the first Tuesday in each Month.
The town is clean in appearance: many of the streets are spacious, and it is well paved and lighted with gas; the shops are large and modern, and many of the houses are also modern and display architectural features of no mean order: there are also some fine specimens of timber-built houses, with grotesquely carved brackets, heads and gable-boards, some in good preservation and many fast hastening to decay.
The town is undoubtedly of great antiquity, for in the year 658 Merwald, King of Mercia, built a monastery here for religious virgins, and endowed it with all the lands about the town: in 777 a great part of the town, with the nunnery, was destroyed by the ancient Britons: in 1055 the town appears to have been fortified and to have taken part in the wars at that time carried on against the Welsh, after which a garrison was put here by command of King Harold: in the reign of King John the town suffered much by the incursions of William de Braos, Lord of Brecknock, who, about the year 1207, in the absence of the troops from this town, burst into it with great impetuosity, took possession of its extensive works, and plundered and burnt the priory, together with the greatest part of the Gothic Church, and reduced the town to a heap of ruins: it was afterwards rebuilt, but suffered many subsequent misfortunes during the baronial wars; in the time of Henry IV. it was in possession of Owen Glendower after he defeated the Earl of March, and the Priory was by this Prince greatly despoiled, and the revenues of its territorial possessions appropriated to his own use; in 1539 the ancient priory of Leominster, which was the greatest of its kind in England, having larger revenues than some abbeys, was dissolved, John Glover being the last prior: and the manor belonging to the priory, with its appendages, was transferred to the Crown: its courts were abolished and the inhabitants subjected to the control of the Lords Marches: shortly after this event the inhabitants of Leominster, in large numbers, supported the interests of Princess Mary against those of Lady Jane Grey, and effectively defeated the Protestant party, who had taken possession of the old British entrenchments at Cursneh Hill, on the banks of the Pinsley, killing nearly the whole of them in open combat and summarily executing the few who survived the contest, this blow was thought by Mary to be of such importance to her cause that she heaped individual honours and preferments on those who were instrumental in obtaining the victory, and granted to the inhabitants in general their first Charter on Incorporation, dated 28th March, 1553, by which charter the court of record was established, power was given to have a separate court of quarter sessions, a gaol, coroner, certain markets, annual fairs and many other privileges; and the corporation were directed for ever to maintain a Free Grammar School out of lands and hereditaments thereby granted unto them; the ancient priory has since its dissolution undergone many alterations, and was finally incorporated in 1836 with the Union Workhouse, of which it now forms a part.
The parish, or as it is generally styled, the priory church of SS. Peter and Paul is a large and massive structure about 125 feet square and embracing specimens of the Norman, Early English, Decorated and Perpendicular Styles, with various incongruous and debased additions; on the west is a large and stately front, with a central window in the Perpendicular Style and a smaller one of a later period richly decorated with a profusion of ball-flowers: the south side includes the porch and a row of five windows of almost unequalled splendour, also richly decorated with tracery and ball-flowers, and having an embattled top to the wall, pierced in the solid: the southern side has been described by an eminent architect to be "one of the noblest examples of this variety of Gothic architecture in existence": at the north-west corner is a massive tower, built in the Perpendicular Style within the Norman portion of the fabric, and exhibiting externally, at the upper half, Decorated windows, with embattled parapet and pinnacles, whilst the lower half comprises the round-headed Norman window and the western doorway below it, upon columns and arches of which are some rare and interesting specimens of grotesque carving and mouldings: the Norman half of the structure comprises the remains of the ancient conventual church and consists of the nave, northern aisle and western tower, with arcade, triforium and clerestory, the southern aisle of this church being wholly lost, and its site embraced within the modern half of the edifice above alluded to: the Norman nave is considered to be perfect and to be a noble specimen of the simple majesty of that style in its most unadorned form: investigations have brought to light the other portions of the Norman fabric which have been buried since the Dissolution, consisting of the foundations of the central tower, the north and south transepts, choir and presbytery, with the surrounding aisles and apsidal chapels of the latter and of a chapel and other foundations eastward of the whole, together with ancient stone coffins, tesseræ and coins; the ancient conventual edifice is stated to have ranked, in point of size, with such churches as Christ Church, Oxford and Romsey Abbey; the Norman nave was re-opened, after thorough restoration, in 1866 under the superintendence of the late Sir G. G. Scott, to which were added in 1879 (after thorough restoration) the south nave, which has stalls for the clergy and choir, a handsome oak screen and stone pulpit, with pews for the Corporation: the area of the two naves is seated with moveable chairs for the congregation; the central compartment of the great west window is stained, comprising the following subjects: - "St. Paul's Conversion," "Christ's Charge to St. Peter," and "Christ in the Garden;" the south aisle of this noble church, which contains an Early English piscine and three beautifully decorated sedilia, remains closed until a sufficient sum be raised for its restoration: it is proposed, when funds can be obtained for the purpose, to add to the south nave an apsidal chancel; the tower contains eight bells, a clock and chimes, which play every four hours; there is a very richly worked antique silver gilt chalice and paten, of, it is supposed, foreign workmanship, and probably from the Low Countries; the organ, a fine toned, beautiful instrument of large compass, was purchased by the parish in 1737: in the church and churchyard are some ancient monuments of an interesting character: and in the latter, among others, one to the memory of the grandfather and grandmother of the celebrated Mrs. Siddons and the Kembles. The register dates from the year 1549. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, endowed by private benefaction and augmented by Queen Anne's Bounty and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners for England: the nett value at present, with vicarage and a few acres of glebe, exclusive of surrogacy which is attached to the benefice, is £300 yearly: the Rev. Augustin Gaspard Edouart, M. A. of St. John's College, Cambridge, is the vicar. The presentations to the vicarages of St. John, Ivington, and of Stoke Prior and Docklow are vested in the vicar of Leominster.
Here is a Catholic chapel, and there are chapels for the various denominations of Baptists, Moravians, Wesleyans, The Brethren, Primitive Methodists and local missionaries, also a Friends Meeting house.
The ancient chapel of Le Forbury, a plain building in the Pointed Style, with a good eastern window, two low Pointed doorways and an open timber roof, was formerly used for divine service, but, like the Priory, has been subsequently used for many other purposes, and is now occupied by Thomas Sale, esq. as offices, who, having purchased the property, rebuilt it in 1861.
There are alms-houses in the Bargates for four widows, erected in 1735 by Mrs. Hester Clark, widow, rebuilt in 1874, upon the outside of which is a double tablet with a ludicrous-looking figure of a man in a cocked hat, which had a hatchet in its right hand: but the hand having dropped off, the hatchet is now suspended against the wall. On one tablet is this couplet-He who gives away all before he's dead
Let 'em take this hatchet and knock him on ye head."
There are several other charities belonging to the town.
There are Orphan Homes in Ryeland's Road, which were established in 1873 for destitute children who have lost both parents by death.
The Town Hall was built from a design of James Cranstone, esq. of Birmingham; it is of brick in a mixed style of Italian architecture, with dressings of Bath and Grinsel Stone, having a frontage of nearly 50 feet, and about 160 feet in length: in the front are the main entrance gates and two side arched entrances, the latter leading to the council and magistrate's apartments, the former to the market; on entering through the gates, there are four spacious shops on each side with arched roof 16 feet high, and at the end of the corridor is the market, a building 125 feet long, upwards of 40 feet wide, and 23 feet high, conveniently fitted up with stalls, standings and similar arrangements, and packing rooms, back and side entrances, the whole being covered with a corrugated galvanised iron roof: in the main body of the building, over the entrance is the council chamber, a handsome room, 45 feet long, 30 feet wide, and 20 feet high, in which is a half-length portrait of Sir Charles Hanbury Williams, M.P. for Leominster in 1754, father of Frances, Countess of Essex, which lady died 1759: there are rooms for magisterial and other business and retiring rooms; over the council chamber rises a lofty cupola and clock turret, in which is fixed a handsome clock, having four dials, visible from many parts of the town, the whole being surmounted by a vane at a total height of about 70 feet: underneath the building are dry and spacious cellars, capable of stowing quantities of merchandise. The entire cost was near £3,000.
The Butter Cross, an ancient building, erected in 1633 by John Abel, a celebrated architect of his day, who built the Town Hall, at Hereford, and several other market-houses in this and adjoining counties, and who was afterwards honoured by King Charles I. with the title of "King's Carpenter," was a wooden structure, supported by twelve oak pillars of the Ionic Order, with arches, spandrels, brackets, heads, and other ornamental carved work, and appropriate inscriptions in Latin and English, having spacious rooms over for the transaction of public business: This building is exhibited in detail, at considerable length, in " Clayton's Ancient Timber Edifices of England," and is there described as being "without doubt, the most interesting building of the kind in the Kingdom:" this beautiful example of Elizabethan timber work was in a high state of preservation, considering it had stood the blasts of 222 winters; it was taken down to give effect to the New Town Hall, up against the entrance gate of which it had stood for the above period: the old edifice was purchased by the late John Hungerford Arkwright, esq. and re-erected by him in the Grange, and converted into a handsome dwelling-house, retaining all the characteristics of its ancient style of architecture, and is now occupied by Henry Moore, esq: the following are the inscriptions at the base of the upper storey: - on the North side,- Vive Deo gratvs toti mvndo Tvmvlatvs crimine mvndatvs semper transire paratvs. West side: - Where jvstice rule there virtu flow - Vive ut post vivas sat cito si sat bene - Like columns doo vpprop the fabric of a building so noble gentri doo svpport the honor of a kingdom. South side: - in memoria £terna erit jvstvs - 1633.
The Savings Bank, in Burgess Street is a detached building of brick, with Bath Stone dressings.
The Corn Exchange, erected in 1850 at a cost of £4,000, has a brick front with Bath Stone copings. The hall, containing an area of 2,800 square feet, has a roof of glass, and is well provided with desks for the numerous dealers who frequent this market; when arranged for meetings it will hold 500 persons; above is a smaller room, used as a subscription reading room and news room.
There are branches of the National Provincial, and Worcester City and County Banks in the Town. The latter is a substantial and commodious building in Corn Square erected in 1866, from designs by Henry Day, esq. of Worcester, Architect.
There is a small brick gaol in New Street, built in 1750, and an engine-house adjoining: in the latter is preserved a curious relic of bygone days, viz., a ducking stool, said to be almost the only perfect one left in the country; the latest recorded example of its use in England occurred in Leominster in 1809: it was formerly kept in the north aisle of the church, when that portion of the edifice was in disuse.
The Ancient Order of Foresters (Court Royal Hackluyt), and Independent Order of Odd Fellows (M. U.), and other benefit societies have been established here.
The town is situated in the midst of a most luxuriant and fertile district, abounding with orchards, hop gardens, and fruitful valleys, producing large quantities of corn, timber, wool, bark, cider, and breeding and feeding large quantities of cattle and sheep; there is a considerable amount of traffic carried on in these products, and large quantities thereof are constantly being carried off by rail to the consuming districts. There are a few trades carried on, such as iron and brass foundry, implement works, woolstapling, malting and brickmaking, several corn mills, brewing, and gas works.
The market day is Friday. The fairs are held on February 13th, Tuesday after Mid-Lent Sunday, May 2nd, second Friday in June, July 10th, August 4th, September 4th, Monday before the 3rd Wednesday in October, and November 8th. There is also a market held on the first Friday after December 11th , called "The great market before Christmas," and on the first Friday in every month. The corporation has obtained an Act of Parliament for the better regulation of their markets and fairs, by which many important privileges are conferred.
The walks around Leominster are numerous, embracing the Grange, Eaton Hill, &c. Ivington Camp, and Cursnell Hill Camp, both in the parish, are worthy of a visit; the former is very extensive.
The manor of Leominster is vested in John Hungerford Arkwright, esq. of Hampton Court, near this town.
Area 8,096 acres; that of the borough proper, or In-parish, being 1,150 and the Out-parish 8,140 acres; rateable value, borough £15,932, Out-parish £16,887. The population of the borough and parish in a1871, which are co-extensive with the municipal and parliamentary limits, was 5,863, and the local board district, 4,749.
Leominster comprises within the parish, besides the borough above described, the four townships of EATON HENNOR and STRETFORD; BROADWARD, BRIERLEY and WHARTON; NEWTON, STAGBATCH and CHOLSTREY; IVINGTON, HYDE ASH, and WINTERCOTT; THE EXTREME LENGTH OF THE PARISH BEING UPWARDS OF 7 MILES. The severed ecclesiastical portion of St. John's, Ivington, comprises the latter three townships.
The church of St. John, Ivington, situated 2 miles south-west of the town, was erected in 1841, and was put in thorough repair in 1868: it consists of chancel, nave, and south aisle; over the communion table is a handsome stained window, erected to the memory of Mrs. Mary Ann Lane, formerly of the Ryelands, about a mile distant, who died 2nd November 1851: in the south aisle is a smaller window, to Mrs. Juliana Bloomfield, daughter of the above, who died 11th November 1860. The register dates from the year 1844. The living is a vicarage, endowed by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners with £103 yearly, in the gift of the vicar of Leominster and held by the Rev. John Price Jones, B. D. of St. David's College, Lampeter.
WINTERCOTT is 3 miles south-by- west; Hyde Ash 4 miles south-west; the area of the district chapelry is 5,401 acres; the population in 1871 was 808.
National School (Ivington), John Robert Bland, master.
EATON, 2 miles south on the River Lugg, Hennor, 3 miles south-east and Stretford, 5 miles south-east, on the Stretford Brook, form a township.
NEWTON, 7 miles south-west, Stagbatch, 3 miles west and Cholstrey, 3 miles west form a township.
BROADWARD, 2 miles south, on the road from Leominster to Hereford, on the River Arron, Brierley 3 south and Wharton 3 south, near Ford Station, on the Shrewsbury and Hereford railway, form a township.
* Letters for this mail may be posted with an extra stamp 15 minutes after the box closes
Official Establishments, Local Institutions &c. POST, MONEY ORDER & TELEGRAPH OFFICE, Savings Bank & Government Annuity & Insurance Office. Postmaster, John Woolley, Broad Street. Dispatches Box closes Letters can be registered London, Shrewsbury, Hereford, the South & West of England & places abroad 9.30 a.m. 9.00 a.m. Kington 3.45 p.m. 3.30 p.m. Gloucester & the South & West of England 6.45 p.m. 6.15 p.m. * London, Shrewsbury, Stafford, Ludlow, North & South of England, Scotland, Ireland & places abroad 7.35 p.m. 7.05 p.m. Hereford, Kington 10.00 p.m. 9.00 p.m. SUNDAYS London, Ludlow, Shrewsbury, Stafford, North & South England, Scotland, Ireland, & places abroad 7.35 p.m. 10.00 a.m. Hereford, Kington 10.00 p.m.
DELIVERY. - The first delivery commences at 7.00 a.m. the second 4.45 p.m.
ATTENDANCE. - The Office is open from 7.00 a.m. to 9.00 p.m. on week days; & on Sundays from 7.00 a.m. to 10.00 a.m.
MEMBER OF PARLIAMENT Thomas Blake, esq. Lebanon, Ross; & Westminster Palace hotel & Reform Club, London s.w. COUNTY MAGISTRATES
ACTING FOR THE DIVISION OF LEOMINSTER
John H. Arkwright, esq. Hampton Court (Chairman) Bonham Cornwall, esq. Leominster Thomas Dune, esq. Bircher Hall, Leominster The Rev. W. T. Kevill-Davies, Croft Castle, Leominster T. W. Lane, esq. Ryelands, Leominster Capt. C. B. Stevenson, Hennor House, Leominster Capt. Edward N. Heygate, R. E. Bucklands, Leominster The Rev. H. Brown, B. A. Eastham, Tenbury Edward Otto Partridge, esq. Easton Court, Tenbury B. L. Sanders, esq. Street Court, Kingsland Thomas Burlton, esq. Eaton Hill, Leominster The Rev. P. Scudamore-Stanhope, M. A. Humber Rectory, Leominster R. Prescott Decie, esq. Bockleton Court, Tenbury J. Lechmere M. Parkinson, esq. Ludford, Ludlow Robert Heygate, esq. Woodlands, Docklow J. Ashton, esq. Hatfield Court, Leominster Richard Ingram Dansey, esq. The Sheet, Ludlow Edward Charles Scarlet, esq, Nordan Hall, Leominster Clerk to the Division, H. Moore, 5 & 6 Corn Square, Leominster
Petty Sessions are held at the Town Hall every Thursday at 11.00 a.m. The following places are included in the Petty Sessional Division: -Ashton, Aston, Bodenham, Brimfield, Bircher, Brockhampton, Croft, Docklow, Eye, Eyton, Ford, Hamnish, Hampton Wafer, Hatfield, Hope, Humber, Kimbolton, Kingsland, Lawton, Leysters, Little Hereford, Longford, Lucton, Ludford, Luston, Middleton-on-the-Hill, Mileshope, Monkland, Newhampton, Newton, Orcop, Puddleston, Richard's Castle (Herefordshire), Risbury, Stoke Prior, Stockton, Upton, West Town, Westwood, Woonton, Yarpole
BOROUGH MAGISTRATES William Stuart Boyce, esq. M. D. (Mayor) William Daggs, esq Nicholas Edwards, esq Thomas Burlton Samuel Goode, esq Josiah Newman Henry Herbert, esq William Gammidge, esq Thomas Graves, esq Robert Hayling Woodhouse, esq Edward Hyde, esq Clerk.- Henry Moore
ALDERMEN Thomas Bristow Stallard John Jackson John Tertius Southall William Edward Hyde COUNCILLORS Thomas Graves Thomas Smith William Williams Phillips William Gammidge Edward Gunnell Richard Christopher Boulton Henry Thomas de Montarville Pentland James Ensoll Michael John Ellwood James Page James Cannop
Treasurer, Edwin Lloyd Town Clerk, Thomas Sale Town Crier, William Smith
INSURANCE AGENTS Britannia Fire & Briton Medical & General, G. Weaver, Corn Exchange Commercial Union, J. D. Morris, 9 South Street Norwich Union Fire & Life, J. Bedford, 8 High Street; G. Weaver, Corn Exchange Phoenix Fire, W. Daggs, Corn Square Provident Life, J. Rogers Railway Passengers' (Cornhill), S. Sampson, Corn Square Reliance Mutual Life, H. Moore, Corn Square Royal Exchange, E. Lloyd, South Street Royal Mariners' & General, E, Gunnell, Church Street Scottish Equitable Life, W. Daggs, Corn Square Shropshire & North Wales, G. Tew, High Street Sun Fire, Saxby & Sons, 1 West Street Union, E. Hammond, 15 Church Street Westminster Fire, V. W. Holmes, National Provincial Bank, Broad Street Yorkshire Fire & Life, S. Sampson, Corn Square
PUBLIC ESTABLISHMENTS Town Hall, High Street County Court, Arundel Rogers, esq. judge; Martin Cutler, esq. of Worcester, Treasurer; George Thomas Robinson, registrar & high bailiff; Richard Jones, sub bailiff, offices, 9 & 11 Church Street. The sittings of the court are held monthly at the Town Hall, generally on Thursdays. The jurisdiction extends to the following places, viz.: - Aymestrey, Bodenham, Birley, Croft, Docklow, Eardisland, Dilwyn, Eye, Eyton, Ford or Fordsbridge, Hampton Wafer, Hatfield, Hope-under-Dinmore, Humber, Kimbolton, Kingsland, Laysters, Leominster, Lucton, Middleton-on-the-Hill, Monkland, New Hampton, Newton, Orleton, Pudlestone, Shobdon, Stoke Prior, Stretford, Weobley and Yarpole: the Leominster county court jurisdiction in bankruptcy includes the county court districts of Bishop's Castle, Kington, Knighton, Ludlow & Presteign, having been attached thereto by order of the Lord Chancellor. Inland Revenue Office, Royal Oak Hotel, South Street, Frederick A'Court, supervisor of taxes; E. B. Richards. Esq. collector; William Lewis Child, officer. Corn Exchange, Corn Square, George Weaver, secretary. County Police Station, Burgess Street, Thomas Dykes, superintendent. Borough Gaol & Police Station, New Street, George Johnson, superintendent of Police. Stamp Office, C. J. Saxby, 13 High Street, sub-distributor. Almshouses, West Street, for four poor widows. Fire Engine House, New Street. The Brigade consists of superintendent & twelve men; William Smith, superintendent. There are three engines kept always in readiness. Herefordshire (6th) Rifle Volunteer Corps, E.C. Searlet, esq. J.P. Captain; F. A. Bird, esq. Lieutenant; E.V. Gunnell, esq. 2nd Lieutenant; J.J. Davis quarter master & secretary; John Butland, drill instructor. The orderly room is at the Town Hall.
LEOMINSTER UNION. The Union comprises the following places: - Aymestrey, Bodenham, Croft, Docklow, Eye, Eyton Moreton & Ashton, Eyton, Ford or Fordsbridge, Hampton Wafer, Hatfield, Hope-under- Dinmore, Humber, Kimbolton, Kingsland, Laysters, Leominster, Lucton, Luston, Middleton-n-the-Hill, Monkland, New Hampton, Newton, Orleton, Pudlestone, Shobdon, Stoke Prior & Yarpole. The rateable value of the Union is £116,865. Board day every alternate Friday. Clerk, Edwin Gregg, 9 Broad Street Assistant Overseers, William Ross, Bridge Street; James Wilkes, 6 High Street (Out Parish) Collector, Alfred Moyle, 120 South Street Relieving Officers, Alfred Moyle, 120 South Street; R. O. Smith, Kingsland Vaccination Officers, John Woolley, 18 Broad Street (Borough); Alfred Moyle, 120 South Street (Bodenham); William Mason (Kingsland) Medical Officers, Henry de M. Pentland, 25 Bridge Street (Boro); Robert Williams (Kingsland); Samuel Staniland (Bodenham) Superintendent Registrar, Edwin Gregg, 9 Broad Street Registrars of Births & Deaths, John Woolley, 18 Broad Street (Borough); Alfred Moyle, 120 South Street (Bodenham); William Mason (Kingsland) Registrar of Marriages, John Woolley, 18 Broad Street; Thomas Bannister, 2 Church Street Workhouse, Priory, Charles Weaver, master, Rev. Henry Cooper, B. A. chaplain; Henry de Montarville Pentland, surgeon; Mrs. Harriet Weaver, matron
RURAL SANITARY AUTHORITY Clerk, Edwin Gregg, 9 Broad Street Medical Officer (jointly with Hereford, Bromyard, Ledbury & Weobley), Dr. Sandford Inspector of nuisances, William Bound, Orleton
URBAN SANITARY AUTHORITY The members of the Town Council comprise the Board. Ordinary meetings are held on the first Tuesday in each month Treasurer, William Daggs, Corn Square Clerk, George Thomas Robinson, Church Street Medical Officer, Robert Williams Collector of Rates, James Wilkes, jun. 6 High Street Surveyor & Inspector, Joseph Cox
PUBLIC OFFICERS Clerk to Commissioners of taxes, Edwin Lloyd Collector of assessed, Property & Income Taxes, James Wilkes, 6 High Street Revising Assessors, Thomas Bannister, 2 Church Street; James Harding, 32 South Street Inspector of Weights & Measures, George Johnson, 23 New Street
PLACES OF WORSHIP SS. Peter & Paul's Church , Rev. Augustin Gaspard Edouart, M. A. vicar & surrogate; Thomas Dickins, clerk St. John's Church, Ivington, Rev. John Price Jones, B. D. vicar St. Ethelbert's Catholic Chapel, Burgess Street, Rev. Charles Kerin, priest Trinity Free Church, Etnam Street, Rev. George Slater Congregational Chapel, Burgess Street, Rev. Patrick Thomson, M. A. minister Moravian Chapel, South Street Baptist Chapel, Etnam Street Primitive Methodist Chapel, Green Lane, ministers various Wesleyan Chapel, Burgess Street, ministers various Wesleyan Centenary Chapel, Burgess Street, ministers various Friends' Meeting House, South Street The Brethren Meeting House, Broad Street
SCHOOLS The National School for boys, girls & infants are held in a stone building erected in 1858 near the church, with residence adjoining for the master, & have since been considerably enlarged: there is also a British & Foreign school for boys, girls & infants held in a building erected in Bargates in 1861, at a cost of about £509. National, Church Street, Edward W. Jones, master: Miss Rachael Lewis, mistress; Miss Emily Clutterbuck, infants' mistress. National, Ivington, J. R. Bland, master. British, Bargates, James Gally, master; Miss Clifford, infants' mistress.
RAILWAYS. The Great Western & London & North Western Railway Companies' Joint Station, Etnam Street, George Child, station master; Alphonso William Thackway, goods agent. An omnibus from the Royal Oak Hotel meets every train.
CARRIERS TO:- ALTOM - Newman, 'Blue Boar', Friday AYMESTREY - Bywater, from the 'Elephant & Castle', Friday BODENHAM - Prosser & Gravenor, 'King's Head', Friday DELWYN - Bevan, from the 'Black Swan', Friday; Morgan, Tuesday & Friday 'White Horse' LUCTON - Lavender, 'Blue Boar', Friday PUDLESTON - Griffiths, from 'White Swan', Friday WEOBLEY - Evans, 'White Horse', Friday WIGMORE - Bywater, from 'Elephant & Castle, Friday
PRIVATE RESIDENTS A'Court Frederick, 112 South Street Kerin Rev. Charles [Catholic], South Street Allen John Arthur, 1 Hereford Road Lane Theophilus William, D.L., J.P., M.A. Ryelands Allen Mrs. Holly Mount, Green Lane Lawton Mrs. Westgate, Bargates Anderson Henry, Baron's Cross, Cross Lodge Lewis William, Pinsley House, Broad Street Andrews Chas. Davis, Corn Square & Laysters Lloyd Edwin, 30 South Street Andrews Henry, Dutton House Lloyd Miss, Bryanstone House, South Street Baker Mrs. 40 West Street Lloyd Mrs. 7 Broad Street Balls George, Priory House Loveridge Mrs. 2 Peel Villas Bannister Thomas Johnson, 125 Etnam Street Loveridge Thomas, 34 Etnam Street Barnett Samuel, M.R.C.S. Brook House, Broad street Mainwaring James, The Cedars, The Grange Bazley John, 12 South street Marshall Mrs. 20 Broad Street Beaumont William, 1 Ryelands Road Marshall The Misses, Holly Mount, Bargates Beavan Mrs. 29 Broad Street Marshall Thomas, Colaba Lodge Beck Mrs. 2 Middle Westbury Mason The Misses, Green Bank, Perseverance Road Bedford Miss, 34 Broad Street Meacham Miss, 42 Burgess Street Bellow John, 26 High Street Moore Henry, The Grange House Bemand John, 26 High Street Morris Mrs. The Elms, South Street Bemand Robert, 58 Etnam Street Munn Mrs. 9 Westfield Walk Bevan James, 18 Etnam Street Newman Henry Stanley, 14 Broad Street Bevan Mrs. 62 Etnam Street Newman Henry, 46 Etnam Street Bevan Thomas, The Hyde, Ivington Newman Josiah, Buckfield Blakeway Herbert, Stewartsville, Bargates Norgrove Charles, Westgate, Bargates Blundell Charles, Elmley House Page James, 3 Hereford Road Blundell Edwin, Caswall House Pentland Henry de Montarville, L.R.C.P., L.R.C.S., L.M. EDIN. Broad Street Boyce William Stewart, M.R.C.S. 2 Bridge Street Phelps William, 101 Bargates Bradford Miss, 28 Broad street Phillips William Williams, 44 Ryelands Bradford Mrs. 17 Broad Street Plevy Mrs. 63 South Street Bradley Mrs. Rose Cottage, Bargates Plummer William, 2 Mount Villas, Perseverance Road Bright, Mrs. Claremont, Bargates Probart Thomas, 1 Worcester road Burlington, The Misses, Buckfield Villas Robinson George Thomas, 9 Church Street Burlton Thos. F.R.C.S. , J.P. Caswell House Rogers John, 2 Grange Walk Caldwall Bonham, D.L., J.P. 116 Bridge Street Russell Edward, Hay Lane Caldwall Miss, 116 bridge Street Sale Thomas, Forbury, Church Street Carpenter James Thomas, 1 South Villas, Hereford Road Sale William Thomas, Church Street Connop William, Buckfield Sampson Samuel, Mount Pleasant, Bargates Daggs William, Corn Square Saxby Henry Lee, 40 Burgess Street Davies Miss, 7 Corn Square Saxby John James, The Hawthorns Davies Mrs. Gate House, Church Street Shanks Mrs. 40 Broad Street Davies Rev. Henry Roberts, M.A. Gate House, Church Street Slater Rev. George [Free Church of England], Minera Place, Hereford Road Davis John, 43 Etnam Street Smith Geo. Green, Pinsley House, Broad Street Davis Joseph John, 47 Etnam Street Smith James Frederick, 26 Bridge Street Davis Mrs. Poplands, Mill Street Southall Mrs. West Lodge, Burgess Street Eason John, 70 Bargates Southall The Misses, The farm, Rainbow Lane Edouart Rev. Augustin Gaspard, M.A. Vicarage, Church Street Stallard Thomas Bristow, 26 Broad Street Edward Alfred, 20 Etnam Street Stephens Henry, 1 Peel Villas Edwards Edward Nicholas, Broadward Stevenson Charles Benjamin, D.L., J.P. Hennor House Edwards Octavius, 11 Broad Street Taylor Mrs. 28 Burgess Street Elouis Rev. James Joseph Haydin [vicar of Eyton], 45 Etnam Street Thomas John, Cholstrey Elrington The Misses, 22 Etnam Street Thomas Mrs. 134 South Street Gammidge William N. 2 Burgess Street Timbury The Misses, 91 Etnam Street Gammidge William, Bryn Glas Toogood Thomas, Westgate House Gilkes Arthur H., Townsend Cottage, Green Lane Turner Harry, The Limes, Hereford Road Gould The Misses, 66 South Street Turner Mrs. 40 Etnam Street Graves Thomas, Rose Bank Tuson Walter Venner, 9 South Street Gregg Edwin, 9 Broad Street Vale Miss, 1 Grange Walk Griffiths Thomas, 12 Church Street Vevers Mrs. Ivington Park Farm, Ivington Gunnell Edward, 6 Church Street Washbourne G. R., 19 Broad Street Hammond Edward, 15 Church Street Watlings The Misses, Little Hennor Hancock Mrs. 26 South Street Weaver George, 38 Broad Street Harding James, 32 South Street Wells Mrs. Brunswick House, Hereford Road Herbert Henry, Buckfield Villas White John Archer, 1 Mount Villas, Perseverance Road Hinton George Felton, 65 South Street Winnall The Misses, Church Street Holme Valentine Webb, Gatesfield House, Rylands Road Wood Daniel, Broadward, Hereford Road Holmes David, M.B., L.R.C.S. EDIN. 25 Bridge Street Wood Mrs. 18 Church Street Hughes Mrs. 46 Rylands Road Woodhouse Joseph, carpenter, 13 West Street Hyde William Edward, M.R.C.S. 16 Church Street Woodhouse Mrs. Frances, Westbury Ingram Thomas, 27 Mill Street Woodhouse Roberts Hayling, 38 Etnam Street Irvine James, Poplands, Mill Street Woolfall Richard, The Model, Bargates Jackson John, Brock Hall Yapp Mrs. The Laurels, Bargates Jenkins Mrs. 115 Bargates Yeld George, Southfield, Hereford Road Jenkins Mrs. 55 Etnam Street Yeld Miss, 22 Church Street Jones Rev. John Price, B.D. [vicar of Ivington & Ford], Bankfield
COMMERCIAL A'Court Frederick, supervisor of inland revenue, 12 South Street Langford John, wine, spirit & ale merchant, 4 Broad Street ALEXANDERS & LOVERIDGE, general & furnishing ironmongers, bar iron & steel merchants, nail manufacturers, agricultural implement makers & oil & colour merchants, Lion Works, Broad Street Leominster & Kington Railway Co. (William Daggs, sec); office, Corn Square Anderson Alfred, baker & confectioner, 27 West Street Leominster Corn Exchange Co. Limited (Geo. Weaver, sec) Andrews Charles Davis, solicitor (firm, C. D. & H. Andrews), Corn Square Leominster Gas & Coke Co. Limited (Henry Newman, sec); works, Broad Street (Henry Parsons, manager) Andrews Hy. Solicitor (firm, C. D. & H. Andrews), Corn Square Leominster Liberal Association (Thomas Cole, sec); Grafton House, Burgess Street Andrews John, farmer, Upper House, Ivington Leominster Tract Association (Henry Stanley Newman, hon. Sec) 10 & 12 Broad Street Ashley George, grocer, 2 Broad Street Leominster Working Men's Conservative Association (P. F. Went, sec), Burgess Street Bailey Marianne Thomas, (Mrs.), farmer, Wharton bank Lewis Alfred, grocer for H. R. Williams & Co. importers of wines & spirits, 4 High Street Baker & Smith, grocers & tea dealers, 23 Drapers Lane Lewis George, butcher, 45 High Street Baker Anna (Miss), boarding & day School, 40 West Street Lewis John, miller & farmer, Cholstrey Mill Baker Hy. Fishmonger & poulterer, & Brewery Tap, South Street Lewis Thomas, cabinet maker, 7 Mill Street Baker Richd. Tobacconist 39, & hosier & toy dealer, 43 High Street Lloyd Edward, baker & confectioner, 1 South Street Ballard William, watch &clock maker & jeweller, 15 South Street Lloyd Edwin, solicitor, commissioner to administer oaths, treasurer for the borough, clerk to the commissioners of taxes for Leominster district & perpetual commissioner, 28 South Street Bannister Rebecca (Mrs.), hosier, 9 Bridge Street Lloyd Thomas, currier & leather seller, Corn Square Bannister Thomas, clothier & registrar of Marriages & deputy registrar of births & deaths, 2 Church Street Lucas Francis, Talbot Inn, West Street Barnett Samuel, surgeon, 27 Broad Street Ludwick Thomas, coach builder, Etnam Street Barrington George, boot & shoe maker, 41 Bridge Street Luscott Ann (Mrs.), Black Swan, 33 West Street Bassett James, miller, Marsh mill, 81 Bridge Street Mapp William, White Hart, 10 West street Bateman Isaac, farmer, Bargates Mattey Eliza (Mrs.), Bridge Inn, & shopkeeper, 3 Bridge Street Baylis John, grocer & provision merchant, & agent for W. & A. Gilbey, wine & spirit merchants, 3 & 5 Draper's Lane Meredith Thomas, farmer, Wharton Court Bazley John, M.R.C.V.S. veterinary surgeon, 12 South Street Mifflen Charles, dairyman, New Town, Ivington Beaman John William, currier & leather seller, 11 Broad Street Miles Frederick John, lodging house, 56 Etnam Street Beavan Thomas, farmer, hop grower & breeder of Herefordshire cattle, The Hyde, Ivington Miles Rd. Rees, millwright, Leominster foundry, 42 West Street Bedford George, Royal Oak Hotel, family & commercial inn & posting house, & wine & spirit merchant, South Street. Miles William Creddock, cabinet maker, 44 West Street Bedford John, butcher, 14 High Street Miles William, draper, milliner, outfitter & sewing machine agent, 9 & 11 High Street & 10 Draper's Lane Bedford Joseph, corn factor, 8 High Street Millhouse Henry, mason, 53 Bridge Street Bedford Thomas James, grocer & provision dealer, 3 High Street Mills John, miller, Ivington Mill Bedford William, farmer, Corner Cup Minton Henry, boot & shoe maker, 32 Broad Street BELLOW JOHN & SON, general ironmongers, plumbers, braziers, tin & iron plate workers, hot water fitters, & bar iron warehouse, 26 High Street Moore Henry, solicitor, coroner for Herefordshire (Leominster District), clerk to the county & borough magistrates, clerk to the Leominster highway district board, & commissioner to administer oaths & for affidavits, Corn Square Berkley William Rowland, farmer, 23 North Road Morris Hannah (Mrs.), dress maker, & lodging house, 9 South Street Biddle James, Chequers, & retail brewer, Etnam Street Morris James Davis, commission agent, 9 South street Birch William Edward, baker & confectioner, 5 Bridge Street Moyle Alfred, relieving officer, 120 South Street Bird Susannah (Mrs.), Three Horseshoes, 15 Corn Square Moyle Benedicta (Miss), dress maker, 5 Mill Street Blomer Charles, painter, glazier & gilder, 13 West Street Moyle Samuel, wool stapler & seedsman, 56 Bridge Street Blomer Frederick, shopkeeper, 47 bridge Street Mytton George Edward, draper, 9 Draper's Lane Blomer Jane (Mrs.), refreshment rooms, 16 Corn Square Nash Joseph, dinning rooms, 15 High Street Blomer Richard, painter &c. 16 Corn Square National Provincial Bank of England (Valentine Webb Holmes, man.), Broad Street; draw on head office, London Blundell Charles & Co. brewers, Britannia Brewery, South Street Newman & Son, grocers & tea dealers, 14 Broad Street Blundell Edwin, miller & corn merchant, Pinsley Mill, residence Caswell House Norgrove Charles, steam saw mills, Middle Westbury Bond Lucy (Mrs.), secondhand clothes dealer, 45 Bridge Street Oliver Walter Henry, correspondent to the 'Hereford Times', 2 Hereford Terrace, Hereford Road Boucher William Armstrong, music & musical instrument dealer, 16 Broad Street Orphans Printing Press, printers, booksellers & publishers (George Blacklock, manager), 10 & 12 Broad Street BOULTON GEORGE, florist, nurseryman & seedsman, green house, window, bedding, herbaceous & alpine plants, roses, shrubs & fruit trees, bulbs, exotic & hardy ferns, Azur Nursery, Perseverance Road Owens Charlotte (Mrs.), The Bell, Etnam Street Boyce William Stewart, surgeon, 2 Bridge Street Owens John, wheelwright, 26 West Street BRADFORD FREDERICK, saddler & harness maker, 30 Broad Street Page Henry, saddler, 12 Corn Square Bright George, boot & shoe maker, 18 School Lane Page James & Son, builders, 114 South Street Bright Richard, butcher, 30 High Street Page Thomas, painter & Glazier, 21 West Street Brimfield William Morgan, builder, 38 West Street Palmer Henry Phillips, watch maker * jeweller, 18 Draper's Lane Brown & Caffull, linen & woollen drapers & sewing machine agents, 20 high Street Palmer Mary (Mrs.), dining rooms, 5 High Street Brown Margaret (Mrs.), refreshment rooms, 28 West street Pateshall William, farmer, Upper Hennor Buckham John, chemist & druggist, 35 High street Pearce William, tailor & draper, 26 Etnam Street Buckland John, tailor & draper, 15 Draper's Lane Pentland & Holmes, surgeons & physicians, 25 Bridge Street Buckley John, coal & lime agent, 89 Etnam Street Perkins Mary Ann (Mrs.), dress maker, 34 Etnam Street Burgoyne Susannah (Mrs.), grocer, 19 School Lane Perry William, farmer, Brick House Farm, Monkland Caffull Susan (Miss), dress maker, Vicarage Street Phillips Charles, The Barrel, High Street Carwardine Joseph, farmer & grazier, Cockcroft Phillips John Carter, painter & glazier, 30 West Street Cave Edward, plumber, 16 West Street Phillips William Williams, boot, shoe & general repository, 4 West Street Christy John, Anchor, 46 Bridge Street Philpotts William, blacksmith, Stretford Clarke John, shopkeeper, 18 South Street Plummer & Brown (established 1825), grocers, Italian warehousemen, provision factors, & agents for W. & A. Gilbey's Wines & Spirits, Bass's Burton Ales, Guinness's Dublin Stout, sole agent for the Royal Malvern Wells Brewery, 28 High Street Clayton Richard, White Horse, West Street Poulton Frederick, plasterer, Bridge Street Coates Richard, tailor, 5 Corn Street Poulton Joseph, boot maker, Burgess Street Colcomb Ann (Mrs.), Bird in Hand, 44 Broad Street Poulton William, china & glass dealer, painter &c. 21 Draper's Lane Coleman Edward William, farmer, Eaton Hall Poulton William, shoe maker, 19 Burgess Street Coleman James, Prince of Wales, 121 Bridge Street Pounds William, beer retailer, 30 Bridge Street Coleman Rebecca (Mrs.), fellmonger & leather dresser, 18 Bridge Street Powell John, milliner & tailor, 19 High Street Colley Christopher Thomas jun. Grocer, corn factor, baker & confectioner, Bargates Powell Thomas, laundry, 13 Prospect Terrace, Hereford Road Colley Christopher Thomas sen. Grocer & corn factor, 35 Bargates Pratt Harriet (Miss), shoe warehouse, 37 High Street Colley Henry, farmer, Marlbrook Preece Jane J. (Miss), dress maker, 45 West Street Collins & Hammond, drapers &c, 14 Draper's Lane Preece Thomas & Sons, agricultural implement & machine makers & ironfounders, Vulcan implement works, West Street Collins William, fancy repository & hair dresser, 5 South Street Price Samuel, linen & woollen draper, 34 High Street Connop James, farmer, hop grower & breeder of Herefordshire cattle, Knoakes Court, Ivington Price Sarah (Mrs.), laundress, 23 Hereford Road Cooke Henry, cabinet maker, 5 Church Street & 17 Rylands Road Price William, Greyhound Inn, & farmer, Rainbow Lane Cox James, boarding & day school, Grange House Pritchard James, Bull's Head, 48 West Street Cox Jane (Mrs.), dress maker, 11 Etnam Street Pritchard John, cowkeeper, Baron's Cross Cox Joseph, builder, Broad Street Pritchard Thomas, Elephant & Castle, maltster, 6 West Street Coxall Samuel Lloyd, blacksmith, 41 Broad Street Prosser Samuel, Radnorshire Arms, & farmer & haulier, 85 Bargates Crick John Henry, baker & confectioner, 8 West Street Prosser William, confectioner & baker, 45 Etnam Street Cross William, hair dresser, 14 West Street Prosser William, shopkeeper, 23 Bridge Street Crundel Walter James, watch & clock maker, 6 Broad Street Prothero Thomas, farmer, Vine Cottage, Bridge Street CULLIS GEORGE, grocer & provision merchant, 4 Corn Street Prothero Thomas, jun. Farmer, Broad Farm, Bridge Street Cullis John Bedford, butcher & grazier; horses gigs & traps for hire, 17 Corn Square Proudman John Cook, farm bailiff to Henry Cook, esq. Upper Wintercott, Ivington Daggs William, manager of the Worcester City & County Bank Limited (branch), Corn Square Pugh George, boot & shoe maker, 33 Etnam Street Daniel Mary (Mrs.), tripe dresser, 7 School Lane Pugh George, jun. Boot & shoe maker, 27 High Street Davenport Thomas George, cooper, 15 Broad street Pugh Henry, stone mason, Bargates Davies Anne (Mrs.), farmer, Chipp's House, Ivington Pugh John, butcher, 3 Corn Street Davies George, locksmith & bell hanger, 57 Etnam Street Radnor Thomas, farmer & cattle dealer, Lower House, Ivington Davies Joseph, painter & glazier, & fancy repos. 41 High Street Rendalls James, agent Prudential Assurance, 5 Perseverance Road Davis David Frederick, pharmaceutical chemist, 2 High Street Reynolds Charles, White swan, Etnam Street Davis Edward Henry, jun. Furniture van proprietor & coal agent, 123 Etnam Street Reynolds William, farmer, Hyde Ash Davis Elizabeth (Miss), preparatory School, 43 Etnam Street Rickitts James, shopkeeper, 121 Bridge Street Davis George, locksmith & bell hanger, 57 Etnam Street Ridley John Valentine, baker, 46 South Street Davis George, whitesmith & bell hanger, 51 Etnam Street Roberts & Mapp, carriage builders, South Street Davis Henry, basket maker, 13 Bridge Street Roberts George, farmer, Ebnall Davis Joseph John, builder, contractor, timber merchant & building material dealer, Etnam Street Robinson George Thomas, solicitor, commissioner to administer oaths in the supreme court & for affidavits, registrar & high bailiff of the county court & clerk to the urban sanitary authorities, 9 Church Street Davis Margaret (Mrs.), tallow chandler, 32 High Street Robinson Henry, shopkeeper, 27 Bridge Street Davis William John, surveyor of roads to Leominster High Way District, 6 Bridge Street Rogers John, brick & tile maker, Baron's Cross Deakin William, Blue Boar, 21 Broad Street Ross Henry, boot & shoe maker, 17 Draper's Lane Devall Samuel, hat manufacturer, 24 West Street Rowland Charles, Crown & Sceptre, 22 Bridge Street Dipple Mary (Mrs.), lodging House, 87 Etnam street Rudd Henry, farm bailiff to Mr. George Smith, The Leasowes Doherty Charles James, grocer & provision dealer, 66 Bridge Street, & coffee House, 73 Etnam Street Sale & Son, solicitors, perpetual commissioners, & commissioners to administer oaths, & for affidavits, The Forbury, Church Street Dowding James, tailor, 25 Hereford Road Sale Thomas, solicitor & Town Clerk (firm, Sale & Son), Forbury, Church Street Downes Henry, blacksmith, Wharton Sale William Thomas, solicitor, & Clerk to School attendance committee (firm, Sale & Son), Forbury, Church Street Dunne Alfred, shoe maker, Ivington Sargeant Ann (Mrs.), King's Head, South Street Durham Joseph, carpenter, & The Hop Pole, 40 Bridge Street Savings Bank (John Tertius Southall, treasurer; George Weaver, actuary), Burgess Street Dykes Thomas, superintendent of Police for Leominster & Wigmore Division, 16 Burgess Street Saxby & Sons, grocers, 1 West Street Eason John, chemist, 70 Bargates Saxby Charles James, printer & bookseller, 13 High Street EDWARDS & WEAVER, auctioneers, valuers, surveyors & accountants, Corn Exchange Offices; &1 King Street, Hereford Scandrett John, tailor & draper, 1 Corn Street Edwards Caroline (Mrs.), tobacconist, 121 Etnam street Seaborn John, Golden Cross, 49 West Street Edwards Charles builder & contractor Seager Elizabeth (Mrs.), fish salesman, & fruiterer & game dealer, 31 High Street & 25 & 27 Etnam Street Edwards Charles, brick layer, Barons Cross Seager William, fishmonger & greengrocer, 9 Draper's Lane Edwards Octavius, surgeon, 11 Broad Street Seal John, farm bailiff to John Jackson, esq. Little Stretford Edwards Sarah (Mrs.), farmer, Lower Wintercott, Ivington Sharp David, wool merchant & fellmonger, 92 South Street & Ink Mill Ellwood Michael John, operative, analytical & agricultural chemist, 25 Draper's Lane Sheen Elizabeth (Mrs.), cider retailer, Ivington Ensoll James, farmer, 138 South Street Shinn Walter, Pheasant Inn, 48 Bridge Street Evans Edward Juson, grocer, & photographer & picture frame dealer, 54 & 62 South Street Shrewsbury & Shropshire Coal Co. (of Shrewsbury), coal &c. merchants (William Heath, agent), Railway Station Farr Elizabeth (Mrs.), milliner, 22 Draper's Lane Smith Edmund, coal merchant & slate & timber agent, 90 Etnam Street Fencott Mary (Mrs.), farmer, Eaton Farm Smith Eliza (Mrs.), White Lion, Etnam Street Fields Mercantile Co. Limited, coal merchants & building materials dealers. (Arthur Gregory, salesman), Railway Station Smith Elizabeth (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 9 School Lane Fletcher Sl farmer & butcher, Summergalls & 29 West Street Smith George Green, Solicitor & commissioner for oaths, Pinsley House, Broad Street Forster Mrs. Preparatory School, Bargates Smith George, butcher & grazier, 17 Etnam Street Foster James Northwood, glove manufacturer, 47 Bargates Smith Henry Meredith, farm bailiff to Mrs. Vevers, farmer, hop grower & breeder of Herefordshire cattle, Ivington Park Farm, Ivington Franklin William, shopkeeper, 41 West Street Smith Henry, butcher, 20 Draper's Lane Freeman Mary (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 51 West Street Smith Thomas, shopkeeper, 35 Etnam Street Freeman Thomas, cooper, 3 West Street Smith Thomas, tea dealer, grocer & provision merchant, 25 High Street Froysell & Urwick, grocers & provision factors, 38 High Street Smith Walter, farm bailiff to captain Stevens, Stretford Bury Gammidge & Son, linen & woollen drapers, 1 Broad Street Smith William, town crier, bill poster &c. 68 South Street Gammidge William, drapers' valuer, 1 Broad Street Southall & Co. wholesale & retail linen & woollen drapers, 27 Draper's Lane & 1 Corn Square Geassent William James, insurance agent, 26 Church street Stallard Thomas Bristow, wholesale wine & spirit merchant, agent for J. W. & J. V. Stallard's Worcester Ales, Burton ales & Watkins Dublin stout, 26 broad Street George M. E. building material dealer & timber merchant (Edmund Smith, agent), 90 Etnam street Stanton Edward, Baron's Cross Inn, Baron's Cross Girls' Training & Industrial Home (Miss A. A. Davies, lady superintendent), 7 Corn Square Stanway William, wine & spirit dealer, 11 South Street Godfrey Benjamin, farmer, Brierley Steele William, blacksmith, Ivington Goode George, ironmonger, plumber, brazier, gas & hot water apparatus fitter, 36 High Street Taylor John, farm bailiff to Daniel Wood, esq. Broadward, Hereford Road Goode Samuel, farmer & hop grower, Ivington, Bury Taylor Martha (Mrs.), provision dealer, 25 Bridge Street Graves & Co. linen & woollen drapers, silk mercers, general mourning wareho. & carpet warehousemen, 22 & 24 High Street Taylor Thomas John, jewel case maker, 95 Bridge Street Green James Hyde, boys boarding school, Barons Cross Tedstone William, farmer, Widgeon Hill Greenhouse Edward Harris, clothier & outfitter, 2 West Street Tew George, grocer & provision dealer, 16 High Street Greenhouse James Luggar, fancy repository, 29 High Street Thomas Charles, Bowling Green, 74 South Street Greenhouse James, saddler & harness maker, 9 West Street Thomas Charles, butcher, dairyman & grazier, licensed to saddle horses, gigs & traps, 3 & 5 School Lane & 100 Lower Bridge Street Gregg Edwin, solicitor, clerk to the guardians & superintendent registrar, 9 Broad Street Thomas Harley, farmer, Stagbatch Griffiths Henry, boot & shoe maker, 109 Etnam Street Timbury Sussannah & Sarah (Misses), boarding school, 91 Etnam Street Griffiths James, boot & shoe maker, 2 & 7 South Street Tombs Matthew, chemist, druggist & seedsman, 21 High Street Griffiths James, wheelwright & farmer, Aulden, Ivington Tomkins Thomas, watch & clock maker, 7 West Street Griffiths John, shopkeeper, 63 Etnam street Tudge John, farmer, hop grower & grazier, Ivington Court, Ivington Griffiths William, farmer & hop grower, Brierley Tudge Mary (Mrs.), farmer, Cholstrey Grubb William, basket maker, 10 School lane Tunks Abraham, beer retailer & brick maker, Baron's Cross Gunnell Edward, wine & spirit merchant & ale & porter merchant. 1 High Street, residence, 6 Church Street Vale William, farmer, 35 South Street Gurney Henry, shopkeeper, 56 Middle Westbury Vernals Benjamin, pump maker & carpenter, 23 West Street Harden John Webb, grocer, tea dealer, provision & corn merchant, The Globe tea Supply. 16 South Street Wainwright Humphrey, farmer, New Town Harper James, confectioner & baker, 13 Draper's Lane Wall William, smith & bell hanger, South Street Harper John, hatter, 8 Corn Street Warburton William, greengrocer, 11 bridge Street Harper Thomas, shopkeeper, 44 West Street Water Works (James Morris, engineer) Harris George, coal & lime merchant, Hay Lane & Rainbow Street Watkins George, grocer &c. 23 Broad Street Harris George, shopkeeper, 36 South Street Watkins John, grocer, 51 Bridge Street Harris John, shopkeeper, 10 New Street Weaver & Son, boot & shoe makers, 1 Draper's Lane & Market Place Harris John, shopkeeper, 11 Bargates Weaver Frances (Mrs.), straw bonnet maker, 25 West Street Hart George, hair dresser, 8 Broad Street Weaver Isaac, boot & shoe maker, 18 High Street Hayes Rd. boarding & day school for boys, Light House, Bridge Street Weaver John, confectioner & refreshment rooms, & Bakers' Arms, 3 Church Street Haynes James, cooper, 19 West Street Webb Thomas, accountant, 5 Broad Street Heather Eliza (Mrs.), ladies' school, Barons Cross Webb Thomas, millinery & ladies outfitting warehouse, 5 Broad Street Herefordshire (6th) Rifle Volunteers (E.C. Scarlet, captain; John Butland, drill instructor), Orderly room Town Hall Wells Jane (Mrs.), ladies' school, South Street Higginson Thomas, beer retailer, 61 Bargates Welsby William, shopkeeper, 67 Bridge Street Hill John Roberts, veterinary surgeon, Hyde Ash Went Harriet (Mrs.), bookseller, stationer, circulating library & printer, 10 South Street Hill William, mason & shopkeeper, 22 Burgess Street West Elizabeth (Mrs.), Berlin wool & fancy repos, 2 Corn Street Hinton George, farmer & grazier, The Rug West Joseph William, chemist & druggist, 10 high Street Holland John Richard, corn & provision dealer, 36 West Street Whettall Henry, shopkeeper, 90 South Street Holland Mary Ann (Mrs.), farmer, Barons Cross White John Archer, tailor & draper, 23 High Street Holme Henry, cabinet maker & upholsterer, 10 Corn Street Wilkes James, ironmonger, 6 High Street Holmes David, M.B., L.R.C.S. EDIN. Physician & surgeon (firm, Pentland & Holmes), 25 Bridge Street Wilkes James, jun. rate & tax collector & assistant overseer for the Out-Parish, 6 High Street Holmes Frederick, china & glass & earthenware dealer, 12 West Street Wilkis Mary Hooper (Mrs.), milliner, 6 High Street Holmes Valentine Webb, manager of the National Provincial Bank of England (branch), 19 Broad Street Williams Arthur, farmer, Hyde Ash Hudson Ellen (Miss), preparatory School, 42 Broad Street Williams John, general & hardware dealer, 19 Bridge Street Hughes James Richard, boot & shoe maker, 31 West Street Williams William, greengrocer, 35 Bridge Street Hyde William Edward, surgeon, 16 Church Street Wilson George, chimney sweeper, 43 New Street Ingram Thomas, grazier, Mill Street Wilson John, New Inn, 7 Burgess Street Irvine James, estate agent to the Right Hon. Lord Rodney, Berrington Hall, Poplands, Mill Street Winnall Mary Ann & Louisa (Misses), ladies school, Church Street Jackson John, farmer, Brock Hall Wood Edwin, grocer &c. 1 Mill Street James William Albert, Cross Keys, 31 Bridge Street Wood Sarah (Mrs.), boarding house, 41 Etnam Street Jay John, monumental mason, 6 Bargates Wood William Frederick, watch & clock maker, 33 High Street Jenkins Benjamin & Sons clothiers, 7 High Street & 8 Draper's Lane Woodhouse Joseph Carpenter, solicitor, West Street Jenkins William, Duke's Arms, 75 Etnam Street Woodhouse Robert Hayling, who. hop & seed merchant, 6 South Street Johnson, George, superintendent of Borough Police, 22 New Street Woolfall Richard, maltster, Bargates Jones Joseph Spencer, rope & twine manufacturer, 6 Corn Street Woolley John, bookseller, binder, printer, Stationer, news agent, post office & registrar of births, deaths & marriages, 18 Broad Street Jones Robert, photographic artist, 36 Broad Street Worcester City & County Banking Co. Limited (William Daggs manager), Corn Square; draw on London Joint Stock Bank Jones Stephen, supt. Prudential Life Insurance, 71 Etnam Street Wormington Elizabeth (Mrs.), Golden Lion, 69 Bridge Street Juson John, baker, 49 Bridge Street Wrigglesworth Frederick, dining rooms, 31 Broad Street Kinnersley William, farmer, Dishley Court Wynde George, shoe maker, 43 Bridge Street Lane Henry James, boot & shoe maker, 7 Church Street Yapp Edward, butcher, 3 South Street Lane John, grocer, 24 Draper's Lane
[Transcribed by Richard Lane in January 2003
from a copy of Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1879 in Hereford Central Library]