Hide

Letton, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"LETTON, a parish in the hundred of Stretford and Wolphy, county Hereford, 12 miles W. of Herefords its post town, and 6½ S.W. of Weobley. The village, which is small, is situated on the northern bank of the river Wye, and on the road from Hereford to Hay. The land is partly in hops, and the soil principally clay. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £230. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Hereford, value £221. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is an ancient stone structure with a tower containing three hells. In the interior of the church are several tablets to the Blisset family. The charities, with those of Stanton-on-Wye, produce about £462 per annum. The Rev. Henry Blisset is lord of the manor, and resides at Letton Court."

"HURSTLEY, a township in the parish of Letton, hundred of Wolphy, county Hereford, 4 miles S.W. of Weobly."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]