Hide

Linton, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"LINTON, a parish in the hundred of Greytree, county Hereford, 6 miles E. of Ross, its railway station and post town, and 15 S.E. of Hereford. The village, which is inconsiderable and wholly agricultural, is situated on the Ross and Newent road. The soil consists principally of clay, with rocky subsoil. The vicarage is endowed with the rectorial tithes. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Hereford, value £479, in the patronage of St. John's College, Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient edifice, with a spired tower containing five bells. There is a National school for both sexes, with a small endowment. The Baptists have a place of worship at Gortsley Common. Maynard Colchester, Esq., is lord of the manor."

"ECCLESWALL, a small place in the parish of Linton, in county Hereford, 3 miles S.E. of Ross."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]