Little Cowarne, Herefordshire - Post Office Directory, 1863
Extract from Post Office Directory of Herefordshire, 1863Transcription by Barbara Haner © 2004
LITTLE COWARNE is a parish and small village, 5 miles south-west-by-west from Bromyard, 6 east from Dinmore railway, 11 north-east-by-north from Hereford, and 158 from London, in Broxash hundred, Bromyard union and county court district, North Frome deanery, Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric; it is situated about 2 miles to the right of the turnpike road leading from Bromyard to Hereford. The church (name unknown) is an ancient building in the Norman style, and consists of chancel, nave, 2 bells, with south porch and font; in the chancel are three small stained- glass windows. The register dates from 1563. The living is a chapelry, annexed to the rectory of Ullingswick, joint annual value £335, in the gift of the Bishop of Worcester; the Rev. John Middleton Ware, B.C.L., of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, is the rector. The population in 1861 was 186; the acreage is 695. John Arkwright Esq., and Mrs. Domville, are the chief landowners. The soil is clayey. The chief crops are wheat, beans, peas, hops, and apples.
REDENBATCH, New House, Shortwood, Meadow Court, and Upper House are places here.
Parish Clerk, Edward Fowler.
Abell Edward, farmer, Newhouse
Bray John, farmer, Cherry Orchard
Derry Nathaniel, farmer
Edwards Thomas, farmer
Fowler Thomas, farmer, Redenbatch
Gibbs John, farmer, The Heath
Jones Edward, farmer, Shortwood
Jones William, farmer, Upper house
Mole Joseph, shopkeeper
Nott John, farmer, Meadow Court
Robinson Jas., farmer, Lit. Cowarne court
Turbill William, blacksmith
Went Thomas, miller,
Letters through Bromyard, which is the nearest money order office
[Transcribed by Barbara E. Haner in May 2004
from a personal copy of Post Office Directory of Herefordshire, 1863]