Hide

Llanwarne, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"LLANWARNE, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Wormelow, county Hereford, 6 miles S.W. of Ross, its post town, 8 from Hereford, and 10 N. of Monmouth. It is situated on a tributary of the river Wye, near the Hereford, Ross, and Monmouth roads. The nearest railway station is at Ross, on the Great Western line. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Hereford, value £277. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is an ancient stone edifice in the Saxon style of architecture, with an embattled tower. It is commodious, and has several monuments. The charities produce about £4 per annum. The Wesleyans have a chapel in the parish, and there is a National school for both sexes. Sir Hungerford Hoskyns, Bart., is lord of the manor."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]