Llanwarne, Herefordshire - Kelly's Directory, 1856
Extract from Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1856Transcription by Richard Lane © 2002
LLANWARNE is a township, parish and village, 6 miles north-west from Ross Railway Station, 8 south from Hereford, 10 north from Monmouth, and 138 west from London; in Wormelow Hundred, Ross county court and union, Harewood's End Petty Sessions, Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric; it is situated on the road to Hay, about half a mile west of the Ross and Herefords Road, and the same distance east of the Hereford and Monmouth Road. The Church is a very old stone building, in good repair, in the Saxon style; it is well pewed, and large and roomy; it has nave, south aisle, porch, chancel, font, organ, a square embattled tower, 4 bells, and several handsome monumental tablets. The living is rectory, worth £277 yearly, with residence and about 15 acres of glebe land; in the gift of the Governors of Guy's Hospital; Rev. Watson Joseph Thornton, M.A., is the incumbent. There is a chapel for Wesleyans at Turkey Tump. There is a National School for boys and girls now building. The population in 1851, was 371, and the acreage is 2,469 acres. The soil is sandy; he subsoil is chiefly sandstone rock. Sir Hungerford Hoskyns, Bart., is Lord of the Manor; and the Governors of Guy's Hospital, R. M. Linwood, Esq., and __ Fisher, Esq. Are the chief landowners. There are charities of £2 10s yearly value. Turkey Tump is about 1½ miles north-west.
LYSON HOUSE, Hill Farm, Upper and Lower House, Windmill Hill, Broomy Close, Turkey Tump, Lawn, Leniston, Upper and Lower Monkton, Little Field, Cummberhead, and Hendre, are places here.
GENTRY. Fisher John Edward, Esq., The Court Lingwood Robert M., Esq., Lyson House Fisher Mrs., The Court Siers Mr. Joseph
TRADES, FARMERS, ETC. Addis Frederick, wheelwright, Windmill Hill Meadmore Charles, farmer, Leniston Butcher John, blacksmith Meredith John, shopkeeper, Turkey Tump Court John, carpenter, Herbert Cottage Morgan James, farmer, Lower Monkton Court William, carpenter and parish clerk Morgan John, shoemaker Davis Richard, blacksmith Partridge John, blacksmith Digwood James, farmer, The Lawns Pegler Frederick, butcher Elliott Joseph, farmer, The Hill Proctor John, farmer, Upper Monkton Farm Fisher William, farmer & miller Roberts John, farmer, Little Field Hughes Daniel, farmer, Lower House Watkins Benjamin, farmer, Gamber Head Kemys Charles, cooper, Windmill Hill Watkins Charles, farmer, Upper House Farm Matthews William, draper and grocer Wildes William, farmer, Hendrie Meadmore Charles, farmer, Broomy Close Williams Joseph, farmer, Llenastone Mill
LETTERS through Ross, which is the nearest money order office.
[Transcribed by Richard Lane in December 2002
from a copy of Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1856 in Hereford Central Library]