Llanwarne, Herefordshire - Kelly's Directory, 1885
Extract from Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1885Transcription by Richard Lane © 2003
LLANWARNE is a parish and village 6 miles north west of Ross, 8 south of Hereford, and 5 south east from Tram Inn Station on the Newport, Abergavenny, and Hereford railway, in the southern division of the county, Wormelow Hundred, Ross County Court District and Union, Harewood End Petty Sessional Division. Archenfield rural deanery and Hereford archdeaconry and diocese, situated on the road to Hay, about ½ a mile west of the Ross and Hereford road and the same distance east of the Hereford and Monmouth road. Christ Church was erected in 1864, at a cost of £2,550; it is a cruciform building in the Early Decorated style, consisting of chancel with vestry, nave, transepts, north porch and tower, with spirelet; there are 258 sittings, all free and unappropriated. The register dates from the year 1675. The living is a rectory; gross yearly value, £359, with residence, in the gift of and held since 1855 by the Rev. Harry Walter Baskerville Mynors, B.A. of Brasenose College, Oxford. Here is a place of worship for Primitive Methodists. There are charities of £2 10s yearly value. Lyston Court, tenanted by Mrs. Hemingway, is a noble residence of stone, with 44 acres of park and grounds. Lady Vincent is Lady of the Manor. James Rankin, esq., M.A., M.P., D.L., J.P. of Bryngwyn, Hereford, Lady Vincent and the representatives of the late T. G. Symons, esq., are the principle landowners. The soil is sandy; subsoil, chiefly sandstone rock; products, wheat, barley, roots. The area of the parish is 2,469 acres; rateable value, £3,676. The population in 1871 was 374.
Sexton.- Stephen Morgan.
POST OFFICE.- John Lane, postmaster. Letters arrive from Hereford via Tram Inn at 9.10 a.m.; despatched thereto at 5.30 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Cleaver; & telegraph office at Tram Inn Railway Station.
WALL LETTER BOX.- Lyston, cleared 5.30, week days only.
INSURANCE AGENT.- London Assurance, George Court, Lyston.
National School (mixed).- built with residence for mistress in 1856 for 72 children; average attendance, 56;Mrs. Jane Digwood, mistress
PRIVATE RESIDENTS Bosanquet Capt. Day Hart, R.N., J.P., Broom-y-Close Court Hemingway Mrs. Lyston Court Bridge Capt. Lasket Cottage Mynors Rev. Harry Walter Baskerville B.A., J.P., Rectory COMMERCIAL Chitson Richard, farmer, Lower House Lane John, draper, grocer & postmaster Coleman Joseph, farmer, Lenaston farm Maddocks Joseph, farmer, Llanwarne Court Court John, builder and contractor Matty William, farmer, Gamberhaed Digwood James Mrs., farmer Partridge John, blacksmith Farr Alfred, farmer, Upper Monkton Southall James, blacksmith Jones Thomas, haulier, Perkin's Pit Ware James, farmer, Lower Monkton farm
[Transcribed by Richard Lane in January 2003
from a copy of Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1885 in Hereford Central Library]