Llanwarne, Herefordshire - Kelly's Directory, 1905
Extract from Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1905Transcription by Richard Lane © 2003
LLANWARNE is a parish and village on the road to hay, about half a mile west of the Ross and Hereford road and the same distance east of the Hereford and Monmouth road, 5 miles south-east from Tram Hill Station on the Newport, Abergavenny and Hereford section of the Great Western railway, 7 north-west from Ross and 8 south from Hereford, in the Southern division of the county, Wormelow hundred, Ross county court district and union, Harewood End petty Sessional division, rural deanery of Archenfield and archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford. The ruins of the old church, parts of which date from the 13th century, stand on low ground close to the Rectory, and are very picturesque, being covered with ivy and overgrowth; the embattled western tower, walls, one arcade and the north chapel are still standing; and the font, with several mural tablets also remains. Christ church, erected in 1864, at a cost of £2,550, is a cruciform building in the Early Decorated Style, consisting of chancel with vestry, nave, transepts, north porch and a north-western tower, with spirelet: the windows on the south side contain 26 old stained glass medallions, supposed to be the work of Albert Durer: in 1901 three windows were filled with in with stained glass as a memorial to the Rev. Walter Baskerville Mynors B.A., late rector: there are 258 sittings. The register dates from the year 1675. The living is rectory, net yearly value £223, with residence, in the gift of and held since 1896 by the Rev. Harry Walter Baskerville Mynors B.A. of Brasenose College, Oxford, who is also chaplain of Harewood. Here are places of worship for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists. There are charities of £2 10s. yearly. Lyston Court, the property of Sir James Rankin bart., M. P. of Bryngwyn, Much Dewchurch, is a noble residence of stone , with 44 acres of park and grounds, and is the residence of George W. Davey esq. Broom-y-clos Court is the property and residence of Vice-Admiral Day Hort Bosenquet D.L., J.P. Harry Harrison Parry esq., of Harewood, is lord of the manor. Sir James Rankin bart., M. P. of Bryngwyn, Much Dewchurch, T. R. Symons esq. of How Caple, and Vice-Admiral Bosanquet are the principle landowners. The soil is sandy; subsoil, chiefly sandstone rock. The crops are wheat, barley, and roots. The area is 2,473 acres; rateable value, £2,637; the population in 1901 was 318.
Parish Clerk and Sexton.- William Evans.
Post Office.- George Prosser, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Hereford at 7.55 a.m.; dispatched thereto at 5.25 p.m.; no delivery on Sunday. Postal Orders are issued & paid here. The nearest money order office is at Much Birch & telegraph office at Wormelow, 2 miles distant.
Wall Letter Box, Lyston, cleared at 5.30 p.m. week days only
Public Elementary School (mixed), built, with residence for mistress, in 1856 for 72 children; average attendance, 62; Miss Mary S. Berry, mistress.
Carriers.- John Jones, Mrs. Hall & Charles Higgs pass through to Hereford, Wednesday and Saturday, returning same day.
Bosanquet Vice-Admiral Day Hort D.L., J.P., Broom-y-Clos Court Mynors Mrs. Rectory. Davey George W., Lyston Court Mynors Rev. Harry Walter Baskerville, B.A. (rector)
COMMERCIAL Barrett Edmund, egg dealer, Duck House Llewellyn Charles, farmer, Upper Monkton Beavan Charles, farmer & fruit grower, Lawn's Farm Nash William, farmer, Donathan Berry Mary S. (Miss), schoolmistress Prosser George, shopkeeper, Post Office Birchley Septimus, farmer, Llanwarne Court Rudge Thomas, farmer & haulier, Little Field Coleman Joseph, farmer, Lenaston Farm Smith Jermyn, farrier, Hill Gate Court George, builder, painter, paper hanger, building materials, horticultural building &c; estimates given. Agent London Assurance Company. Southall Herbert, blacksmith & wheelwright Evans William, parish clerk & sexton Thomas George, farmer, Gamberhead Hill James, boot & shoe maker Ware James, farmer, Lower Monkton Farm Jones Nathaniel, blacksmith Ware Percy & Reginald, farmers, The Hills Jones Richard, farmer, Upper House
[Transcribed by Richard Lane in January 2003
from a copy of Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1905 in Hereford Central Library]