Llanwarne, Herefordshire - Kelly's Directory, 1913
Extract from Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1913Transcription by Richard Lane © 2003
LLANWARNE is a parish and village on the road to hay, about half a mile west of the Ross and Hereford road and the same distance east of the Hereford and Monmouth road, 5 miles south-east from Tram Inn Station on the Newport, Abergavenny and Hereford section of the Great Western railway, 7 north-west from Ross and 8 south from Hereford, in the Southern division of the county, Wormelow hundred, Ross county court district and union, Harewood End petty Sessional division, rural deanery of Archenfield and archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford. The ruins of the old church, parts of which date from the 13th century, stand on low ground close to the Rectory, and are very picturesque, being covered with ivy and overgrowth; the embattled western tower, walls, one arcade and the north chapel are still standing; and the font, with several mural tablets also remains. Christ church, erected in 1864, at a cost of £2,550, is a cruciform building in the Early Decorated Style, consisting of chancel with vestry, nave, transepts, north porch and a north-western tower, with spirelet: the windows on the south side contain 26 old stained glass medallions, supposed to be the work of Albert Durer: in 1901 three windows were filled with in with stained glass as a memorial to the Rev. Walter Baskerville Mynors B.A., rector 1855-96: there are 258 sittings. The register dates from the year 1675. The living is rectory, net yearly value £223, with residence, in the gift of and held since 1896 by the Rev. Harry Walter Baskerville Mynors B.A. of Brasenose College, Oxford, who is also chaplain of Harewood. Here are places of worship for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists. There are charities of £2 10s. yearly. Lyston Court, the property of Sir James Rankin bart., M.P. of Bryngwyn, Much Dewchurch, is a noble residence of stone, with 44 acres of park and grounds, and is the residence of George W. Davey esq. J.P. Broom-y-clos Court now occupied by Humphrey Weinholt esq. is the property of Admiral Sir Day Hort Bosanquet G.C.V.O., K.C.B. Joseph Henry Parry esq., of Harewood, is lord of the manor. Sir James Rankin bart., T. R. Symons esq. of How Caple, and Admiral Bosanquet are the principle landowners. The soil is sandy; subsoil, chiefly sandstone rock. The crops are wheat, barley, and roots. The area is 2,473 acres; rateable value, £2,710; the population in 1911 was 365.
Parish Clerk and Sexton.- Arthur George Keen.
Post Office.- Mrs. Emily Keen, sub-postmistress. Letters arrive from Hereford at 7.55 a.m.; dispatched thereto at 5.45 p.m.; no delivery on Sunday. Much Birch is the nearest money order office & Wormelow, 2 miles distant, the nearest telegraph office.
Wall Letter Box.- Lyston, cleared at 10.45 a.m. & 6.5 p.m. week days only; Hill Gates cleared at 10.40 a.m. & 6.20 p.m.
Public Elementary School (mixed), built, with residence for mistress, in 1856 for 72 children; average attendance, 63; Miss Mary S. Berry, mistress.
Carriers - Mrs Sarah Davies passes through to Hereford, Wednesday and Saturday, returning same day.
Davey George Wm., J.P., Lyston Court Weinholt Humphrey, Broom-y-Clos Court Mynors Rev. Harry Walter Baskerville, B.A. (rector & chaplain of Harewood)) COMMERCIAL Beavan Charles, farmer, Lawn's Farm Llewellyn Charles, farmer, Upper Monkton Birchley Ernest, farmer, Lenaston Farm, & shopkeeper, village Powell William James, blacksmith, Hill Gates Birchley Septimus, farmer, Llanwarne Court Rudge Thomas, farmer, Little Field Bryan Mary, (Mrs.), shopkeeper Sellars Albert Wm., farmer, Donathan Court George, builder, painter, paperhanger, building materials, horticultural building &c; estimates given. Agent London Assurance & Commercial Union Companies. Southall Herbert, blacksmith & wheelwright Court Victor P., assistant overseer Thomas George, farmer, Gamberhead Hill James, boot & shoe maker Ware James, farmer, Lower Monkton Farm Jones Richard, farmer, Upper House Ware Reginald, farmers, The Hills
[Transcribed by Richard Lane in January 2003
from a copy of Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1913 in Hereford Central Library]