Llanwarne, Herefordshire - Kelly's Directory, 1929
Extract from Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1929Transcription by Richard Lane © 2003
LLANWARNE is a parish and village on the road to hay, about half a mile west of the Ross and Hereford road and the same distance east of the Hereford and Monmouth road, 5 miles south-east from Tram Inn Station on the Newport, Abergavenny and Hereford section of the Great Western railway, 7 north-west from Ross and 8 south from Hereford, in the Hereford division of the county, Wormelow hundred, Ross county court district and union, Harewood End petty Sessional division, rural deanery of Hereford South and archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford. The ruins of the old church, parts of which date from the 13th century, seated on low ground close to the Rectory, and are very picturesque; the embattled western tower, walls, one arcade and the north chapel are still standing; and the font, with several mural tablets also remains. Christ church, erected in 1864, at a cost of £2,550, is a cruciform building in the Early Decorated Style, consisting of chancel with vestry, nave, transepts, north porch and a north-western tower, with spirelet: the windows on the south side contain 26 old stained glass medallions, supposed to be the work of Albert Durer: in 1901 three windows were filled with in with stained glass as a memorial to the Rev. Walter Baskerville Mynors B.A., rector 1855-96: there are 258 sittings. The register dates from the year 1675. The living is rectory, with that of Llandinabo annexed, joint net yearly value £313, with residence, in the gift of and held since 1896 by the Rev. H. W. B. Mynors, who has two turns, and the Lord Chancellor one turn, and held since 1896 by the Rev. Harry Walter Baskerville Mynors B.A. of Brasenose College, Oxford. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel here. There are charities of £2 10s. yearly. Lyston Court, the property and residence of James Crompton Cheetham esq., is a noble residence of stone, with 44 acres of park and grounds. Broom-y-clos Court is the residence of Mrs. Helme. The Trustees of the late Joseph Henry Parry esq., are lords of the manor. Septimus Birchley esq. is the principle landowners. The soil is sandy; subsoil, chiefly sandstone rock. The crops are wheat, barley, and roots. The area is 2,473 acres; rateable value, £2,710; the population in 1921 was 331.
Parish Clerk.- George Green.
Letters from Hereford. Wormelow, nearest post & telegraph office.
Hereford Transport Bus Co. & Midland Red Bus Co. run daily through the village.
(For T.N.'s see general list of Private Residents at end of book) Cheetham James Crompton, Lyston Court Trantom Mrs. Turkey Tump Helme Mrs. Broom-y-Clos Court Watkins Thomas, Lyston Villa Locke Thomas, The Laurels Wheeler Humphrey Newport, The Hollies Mynors Rev. Harry W. Baskerville, B.A. (rector) COMMERCIAL Marked thus ° farm 150 acres or over Bevan Wm., smallholder, Little Fields Reece George, farmer, Church farm Birchley Septimus, farmer & Landowner, Llanwarne Court. T.N. Wormelow 2 ° Richards Jn., farmer, Upper Monkton (letters through St. Weonards). Jones Levi, farmer, Hendre farm Southall Edwd, blacksmith Lock Luke, farmer, Donathan ° Spode Wm. Arnold, farmer, Hills farm ° Manning William, farmer, Lower Monkton Farm, (letters through St. Weonards) Thomas Edgar, blacksmith, Hill gates Paine Clement, farmer Pennypett Thomas George, farmer, Gamberhead Parry David, farmer, Hill Gates Tyler Edwin, shopkeeper Pearcse Thomas W., farmer, Lenaston Court ° Watkins Reginald Hy., farmer, The Lawns ° Price Chas E. farmer, Upper House
[Transcribed by Richard Lane in January 2003
from a copy of Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1929 in Hereford Central Library]