Llanwarne, Herefordshire - Kelly's Directory, 1941
Extract from Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1941Transcription by Richard Lane © 2003
LLANWARNE is a parish and village on the road to Hay, about half a mile west of the Ross and Hereford Road and the same distance east of the Hereford and Monmouth Road, 5 south east from Tram Inn Station on the Newport, Abergavenny, and Hereford section of the Great Western Railway, 7 north-west from Ross and 8 south from Hereford, in the Hereford division of the county, Wormelow Hundred, Ross and Whitchurch rural District, Ross county court district, Harewood End Petty Sessional Division. Rural deanery of Hereford South and archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford. The ruins of the old church, parts of which date from the 13th century, are seated on low ground close to the rectory and are very picturesque; The embattled western tower, walls, one arcade and the north chapel are still standing. Christ Church erected in 1864, is a cruciform building in the Early Decorated style, consisting of chancel with vestry, nave, transepts, north porch and a north western tower, with spirelet: the font and several mural tablets were removed here from the old church: there are 258 sittings. The register dates from the year 1675. The living is a rectory, with that of Llandinabo annexed, joint net yearly value, £337, with residence, in the gift of Aubrey Mynors, esq., who has two turns, and the Bishop of Hereford, one turn, and held since 1936 by the Rev. George Redmond, of St. Boniface College, Warminster. There is a Methodist chapel here. There are charities of £2 10s yearly. Lyston Court, the residence of Major George William Davey J.P. is a noble edifice of stone, with 44 acres of park and grounds. Broomy Close is the residence of Mrs. A. Simmonds M.F.H. W. Campbell esq. is Lord of the Manor. Mr. Septimus Birchley is the principle landowner. The soil is sandy; subsoil, chiefly sandstone rock; products, wheat, barley, roots. The area of the parish is 2,473 acres; rateable value, £3,676. The population in 1931 was 264.
Letters from Hereford. Wormelow nearest Post & T. Office
Midland Red Bus Co. & Blue & White Bus Co. run daily through Wormelow to Hereford and Gloucester
PRIVATE RESIDENTS Bayliss Mrs. The Hollies Redmond Rev. George (rector), The Rectory Davey Major George William J.P., Lyston Court Simmons Mrs. A., M.F.H., Broomy Close Lloyd Mrs., J. B., School House Trantom Miss, Turkey Tump Manning William, The Laurels Wreford-Brown Mrs., The Lasket COMMERCIAL Marked thus ° farm over 150 acres Bevan William, smallholder, Little Fields Randell Albert, head gardener to Major G. W. Davey, J.P., Gardener's Cottage ° Birchley Septimus, farmer & landowner, Llanwarne Court Reese George, farmer, Church Farm Christopher D. E. T. (Mrs.), boarding kennels (Cairns, Sealyhams & Scotties), The Bridstowe Kennels ° Samuel Edward, farmer, Upper Monkton Gundy Harry Albert, Shopkeeper Southall Edward, wheelwright, Lyston Jones Levi, farmer, Hendre Farm Spode William Arnold, farmer, Hills Farm Lodge Hubert H., farmer, Donathan Thomas Edgar, blacksmith, Hill Gates Matthews Leonard, haulage contractor, Old Hendre Thomas George, farmer, Gamberhead Paine Clement, farmer, Penypett ° Watkins Reginald Henry, farmer, The Lawns ° Price Charles E., farmer, Upper House Watkins Thomas, smallholder, Lyston Villa ° Price James Alfred, farmer, Lower Monkton Farm Williams Percy George, farmer, Hill Gates
[Transcribed by Richard Lane in January 2003
from a copy of Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1941 in Hereford Central Library]