Llanwarne, Extract from E.C. Lascelles Directory of Herefordshire, 1851


Extract from E.C. Lascelles Directory of Herefordshire, 1851

Transcription by Richard Lane © 2002


LLANWARNE is a parish situated in a valley, and in a retired sequestered spot, seven-and-a-quarter miles from Ross, and lying between the Hereford and old Monmouth roads.

   The Church is a curious and venerable pile of antiquity, with castellated tower, containing four bells, and is a Rectory. The Rev. Watson Joseph Thornton, Rector; Mr. William Court, Clerk. Services - 11.00 a.m. and 3.00 p.m.

   There is a school attached to the Rectory, supported by contributions and the children's pence. Mrs. E. Price, Schoolmistress.

   Wesleyan Chapel, a square stone building, situate on Turkey Tump The Ministers are various. Sevces-10.00 a.m. and 2.00 p.m.

Fisher John Edward, Esq., The Court Siers Mr. Joseph
Lingwood Robert M., Esq., Lyson House Thornton Rev. Watson Joseph, Rectory
Addis Frederick, wheelwright, Windmill Hill Davis Richard, blacksmith
Butcher John, blacksmith Digwood James, farmer, The Lawns
Court John, carpenter, and Overseer, Herbert Cottage Elliott Joseph, farmer, The Hill
Court William, carpenter and farmer Hughes Daniel, farmer, Lower House
Court William, Parish Clerk Kemys Charles, cooper, Windmill Hill
Meredith John, dealer in bread, Turkey Tump Matthews William, draper and grocer
Morgan James, farmer, Lower Monkton Meadmore Charles, farmer, Blewinstone
Morgan John, shoemaker Rudge Joseph, farmer & maltster, Upper Monkton
Moules Mary, farmer Watkins Benjamin, farmer, Gambler Head
Partridge John, blacksmith Watkins Charles, farmer, Upper House
Pegler Frederick, butcher, The Jockey Wildes William, farmer, Hendrie
Robert John, farmer, Little Field Williams Joseph, corn miller and farmer, Llenastone Mill

[Transcribed by Richard Lane in November 2002
from a copy of Lascelles Directory of Herefordshire, 1851 in Hereford Central Library]