Llanwarne, Herefordshire - Trade Directory, 1863
Extract from Trade Directory of Herefordshire, 1863Transcription by Richard Lane © 2002
LLANWARNE is a parish and village, 6 miles north-west from Ross Railway Station, 8 south from Hereford, 10 north from Monmouth, and 138 west from London, in Wormelow hundred, Ross county court district and union, Harewood's End petty sessions, Archenfield rural deanery, and Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric; it is situated on the road to Hay, about half a mile west of the Ross and Hereford road, and the same distance east of the Hereford and Monmouth road. The church of St. John the Baptist is a very old Saxon stone building; it has nave, south aisle, porch, chancel, font, organ, a square embattled tower, with 4 bells, and several handsome monumental tablets. The living is rectory, value £277 yearly with residence and 15 acres of glebe land, in the gift of and held by the Rev. Walter Baskerville Mynors. There is a National School for boys and girls. The population in 1861 was 383; the area is 2,400 acres. The soil is sandy; the subsoil is chiefly sandstone rock. Sir Hungerford Hoskyns is lord of the manor, and R. M. Lingwood, Esq., T. G. Symons, Esq., and James Edwards, Esq., are chief landowners. There are charities of £2 10s yearly value. A new church, from designs by Messrs. Elmslie, Franey and Haddon, on a new and elevated site, is about to be erected.
Parish Clerk, Henry West.
Bosanquet Rev. George Henry, Broom-y-Close Court Mynors Rev. Walter Baskerville, J.P., Rectory Hughes Daniel, farmer, Lower House Pierson Missus, Lascet Cottage Lingwood Robt. M. esq. J.P. Lyston Court Barrett Edmund, farmer, Hill Farm Morgan James, farmer, Lower Monkton Cooke Richard, farmer, Elvastone Partridge John, blacksmith Court William, carpenter, Hill Gate Pegler Frederick, butcher Davis Richard, blacksmith Proctor John, farmer, Up. Monkton Farm Digwood James, farmer, Upper House Robert John, farmer, Little Field Fisher William, farmer, Llanwarne Court Watkins, Benjamin, Farmer, Gamber Head Higgins George Soley, shopkeeper & postmaster Wildes William, farmer, Hendrea Jones Thomas, haulier, Bluehenstone Williams Joseph, farmer, Lenaston Mill
POST OFFICE - George Soley Higgins, Postmaster. Letters arrive from Ross at 8.30 a.m.; despatched thereto at 5.10 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Ross.
[Transcribed by Richard Lane in December 2002
from an original edition of this 1863 Trade Directory in Hereford Central Library]