Hide

Longtown, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"LONGTOWN, a chapelry in the parish of Clodock, hundred of Ewyas-Lacy, county Hereford, 7 miles N.W. of Grosmont, and 16 S.W. of Hereford, its post town. It is situated at the base of the Black Mountains, on the Olchon brook, a tributary of the river Monnow. The village is considerable. Courts-baron are held annually for the manor and hundred. Here was anciently a strong castle, some traces of which still remain. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Hereford, value £68, in the gift of the vicar of the parish. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is a stone edifice, with a fine roof. The Baptists have a chapel. There is a free school for boys and girls. Fairs are held on 29th April and 22nd June for live stock, and one for the sale of work in the first week of July; also a statute fair on 21st September for hiring servants."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]