Hide

Lucton, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"LUCTON, a parish in the hundred of Wolphy, county Hereford, 5 miles N.W. of Leominster, its post town, and 9 S.W. of Ludlow. It is situated on the main road between Ludlow and Presteign, in the vicinity of the river Lug. Hops are cultivated in this neighbourhood. About one-third of the parish is woodland, and the rest nearly equally divided between arable and pasture. The soil is a mixture of clay and loam on a substratum of limestone, which is quarried. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Hereford, value £98, in the patronage of the governors of Lucton school. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is a stone edifice, rebuilt on the old foundation in 1852. In 1708, John Pierrepont, Esq., founded and endowed a free grammar school, in which 50 boys are clothed and educated gratuitously, besides others on moderate terms. It has a revenue of nearly £1,250 per annum."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]