Hide

Mansell Lacy, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"MANSELL-LACY, a parish in the hundred of Grimsworth, county Hereford, 7 miles W. of Hereford, its post town, and 6 S.E. of Weobley. It is a small agricultural village situated in a sheltered valley between the woody heights belonging to the Foxley estates. The parish extends along the Hereford and Kington turnpike road. The soil is of a loamy and gravelly nature. The land is nearly evenly divided between arable and pasture, with about 70 acres of woodland. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford, value £162. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is a stone structure of great antiquity, with a square tower containing a clock and four bells. There is a large school for the children of Mansell-Lacy, Bishopstone, and Yazor. Mansell House, adjoining the church, is the principal residence. Sir R. Price is lord of the manor."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]